Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #130445 05/25/12 06:58 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    is it to have a 6 year old reading a 5th grade level book such as Diary of a Wimpy Kid? I had a meeting with our school principal today and she said it is very rare which surprised me. I realize my dd is advanced but I don't consider her abilities to be rare. Fwiw our school has actual self-contained gifted classes so I'm sure she's seen her share of gifted children.

A
    A
    That particular book (which is aimed at a much older audience), probably pretty rare. My DD's first grade teacher said she had multiple kids in her claim reading at fifth through seventh grade level at year end, so "reading a fifth grade book with large print and lots of white space," I wouldn't think would be that unusual for an older six year old.

C
    C
    I'd agree with AlexsMom that there are a lot of kids whose parents or others say that they are reading at a 5th grade level in 1st grade but that it doesn't necessarily mean the same thing it means in a child who actually comfortably reads at that level. My kids are girls and never read that particular series, so I don't know what exactly it looks like.

I do know, however, that my oldest was reading Harry Potter books pretty independently by 6.5 and that she was probably the most advanced reader in her 2nd grade class, which she started shortly before her 7th bd, so just a bit after that. There were definitely a number of other kids who were advanced readers, but more typical at 6-7 were the advanced readers who could read books like Junie B. Jones.

B
    B
    I think that type of "5th grade" level book is much easier than say reading a Harry Potter because of the way it is formatted( large print, white space and cartoons). I have learned to understand it is pretty rare- I did not realize it originally because it was all I knew!!! When they make the jump to the big novels is when I noticed the bigger shift. He took off reading at a completely different pace and level and really separated himself from his peers. So get ready! In fact friends would walk up to him with a " thick" book and say you will like this one- without even knowing the subject just because it was " thick" So you should love that your child is reading at that level and learn to love the library because I spend way too much money at half price books!!!!!

X
    X
    My 6.5 daughter has read all series of <> since she loves the story. I don't know how rare it is. But I think that in general girls are more advanced in reading especially at the early age. I know a girl who read Harry Potter at 1st grade.

X
    X
    My 6.5 daughter has read all series of <> since she loves the story. I don't know how rare it is. But I think that in general girls are more advanced in reading especially at the early age. I know a girl who read Harry Potter at 1st grade.

X
    X
    wierd, I typied Diary of a Wimpy Kid twice. But it didn't show up in my post.

P
    P
    Is Diary of a Wimpy Kid considered a 5th grade book? Most of the kids my kids went through school with were reading them by 3rd grade (and my kids weren't in a gifted-kids-only school). By the time they were in 5th grade they'd moved on to books with much smaller font and less white space like Percy Jackson etc (although those were also 4th grade books for in-class reading at school too).

polarbear

Xiangbaobao #130486 05/26/12 10:22 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Xiangbaobao
    But I think that in general girls are more advanced in reading especially at the early age. I know a girl who read Harry Potter at 1st grade.

I'd disagree that girls are more advanced than boys in reading - but then I'm the parent of a boy who could read HP at 6, so my opinion is most likely very skewed smile

polarbear

To answer your rarity question.....On this forum? Not so rare, but it's skewed highly gifted. Elsewhere? Depends on where you live, the school population, etc. In our local school district, DS was the only one reading several grade levels ahead. Now, in his classroom of HG kids in 3rd grade, recently popular books include The Hunger Games, the cat Warriors, Fablehaven, Mysterious Benedict Society. DS said everyone's already read the Harry Potter books. Something for you to look forward to. smile

i also disagree with girls being better readers early on, having an early reading boy. wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM