Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I am curious if anyone else has read these and what your thoughts were:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10251.aspx

It is about asynchronous development and sensory integration intervention.

http://ajot.aotapress.net/content/63/3/288.full.pdf+html

It is about the sensory differences of gifted kids.

Does or did your child's OT take their giftedness into account?

Yes. My eg/pg ds6 was born with severe sensory integration and had asynchronous development partly from the giftedness, but also partly from being born with torticollis (neck) and low muscle tone due to uterine constraints. He spent over 4+ yrs in a sensory processing ot gym.

My son had ot for 5+ years, essentially since 2 months old. I had many ots say that he was bright, though not eg/pg. They definitely had to adapt exercises for him - very early on. Otherwise they would lose his attention. He went from severe sensory avoidance to sensory seeking before coming back to the middle ground. He had severe sensory intensity - with vestibular, auditory, visual, tactile, oral, proprioceptive - the works (years of pt/ot/speech/feeding/vision therapies and other interventions, including neck surgery).

I firmly believe that the torticollis, sensory integration, low muscle tone, visual processing deficits (sensory again!) were interrelated and actually enhanced any predisposed genetic intelligence with my son. I don't know how many other torticollis kids develop so unusual like my son because there's so much misinformation on torticollis as it is and I don't think there are any long-term studies on them.

I've spent a much longer time dealing with sensory and my son's special needs than I have been dealing with the eg/pg stuff that it can feel strange at times.

M
    M
    My eldest DDs OT considered her very spikey profile a problem regardless of her IQ, but predicted that she would be gifted or close to it and that if he was correct then her OT assessment was even more of a problem in his eyes. In his view sensory performance needs to be inline with intellectual performance for comfortable functioning in the world. His opinion that was an a child with an even average IQ and even average sensory performance would outperform a child with a profile like hers (both sensory and IQ scores were all top and bottom with very little middle ground).

Same OT saw our second child and immediately suggested she needed an IQ assessment for giftedness (noting that he only saw kids like her when they were the younger sibling of existing patients who now had paranoid parents). So my experience was that yes our OT thought giftedness mattered and he was good identify a need to have an IQ test.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    There is also a commentary to the AJOT article.

http://ajot.aotapress.net/content/63/3/296.full.pdf

One interesting quote in the commentary is "...we must consider the positive and negative impact of any sensory-processing pattern on participation. If intense sensory processing patterns enable a child who is gifted to solve problems better than other children, then we would not want to make the intensity go away."

Is the author saying an OT might unwittingly make kids un-gifted by changing the very processing patterns that make them gifted? That seems scary but unlikely.

cdfox, My son also had torticollis but was born at 34 weeks. He was discharged from the hospital at 35 weeks and had completed about a month of therapy by the time of my original due date. After about a three month course he was done and we had almost forgot about torticollis until the OT intake form a few months ago.

S
    S
    Thanks for the articles, KJP.

On the ...288.full.pdf one, could someone help me understand the comparison charts please (p. 5-6)?

Originally Posted by cdfox
    My son had ot for 5+ years, essentially since 2 months old. I had many ots say that he was bright, though not eg/pg. They definitely had to adapt exercises for him - very early on. Otherwise they would lose his attention.

How did they adapt the exercises for him? My son does better with a lot of sensory input, but keeping him interested is a challenge.

KFP - Another tort mother? Hooray! I'm kind of shocked that your son was born with tort and then released from ot within a few months.

I've been on a torticollis yahoo group board since my son was born and we're always say/recommend that tort kids should be in ot/pt until they are walking well (i.e. no head tilting, hiking the shoulders and with good, steady balance and posture). Even with us, my son had tort surgery at 18 months. I thought the tort was resolved then, but it wasn't fully resolved until he completed vision therapy during the winter holidays this year.

The reason why we recommend this is that tort kids are at greater risk for developing asynchronously and developmental delays (fine, gross, speech, feeding, vision, etc). Tort kids can compensate so subtly (ie. slightly placing their head off midline) that you need someone well versed to spot them and intervene to correct it. Tort kids usually have difficulty with crawling, crossing midline, bilateral integration. This can cause a host of problems, including preferring one hemisphere of the brain over another. Personally, I think that tort kids spend so much time trying not to use their tort side, neck, and core muscles that their brains go into overdrive and ultimately can enhance their cognitive skills; this is what happened with my son.

Somerdai - my son's ots worked out quickly that they had to constantly change the exercises and involve more complexity/challenge to keep him engaged. With the ot, my son spent a lot of time in an ot sensory gym so there was plenty to keep him engaged and a lot to work on.

The ots/pts were very observant of his body language and adapted the exercises accordingly. I admit that I also went out of my way to find ots/pts/speech/feeding therapists who would do this and got rid of those who didn't. I never had an issue with the vision therapy because the optometrist specially devised the program for him, was top in the field, and was a master at observing my son and picking up subtle body cues.

Article:

" intense sensitivity to the environment might also create a vulnerability resulting from an overload of information that can contribute to challenges with their social interactions." - This statement is absolutely true - or was in my son's case.

1. My issue is that if you have a baby born with severe sensory integration (that covers many facets) - your child needs ot, period. My son couldn't function in daily life without ot and a sensory diet; it was affecting everything. Today, the SID is considered mild and you'd never know he had so much therapy and severe SID.

2. SID exists on a range from severe to moderate and mild. I didn't see the level of SID in these children.

3. A study on 80 children classified as gifted. This is a can of worms. My son is eg/pg but he actually hasn't always had test scores to reflect this.

4. OT might unwittingly make kids un-gifted. I don't think this is possible. Ot can help a child with processing sensory information. It can help a tactile defensive child be able to tolerate playing with sand, for example, or help a child handle loud noises or vestibular input (i.e. swinging.

5. Vision therapy - yes, that I believe can change the processing patterns, perceptual skills. I've seen that happen with my son. With vision therapy, you're basically forcing a child to accept a new reality or version of the world with glasses and daily exercises.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    cdfox, i sent you a PM on the tort. OT issues.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent