Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi there! Long time lerker, first time poster... smile

I'd love some thoughts regarding my just 6 year old Kinder son, his test scores and our general situation. Are we correct in assuming our child is heading down the gifted path or is he simply an advanced learner?

MAP Spring scores: Reading 195, Math 209 (both are 99% for Kinder I don't know how it equates for other ages.)
    WISC IV: Scheduled for a week from today!

Other information about him in addition to his test scores: he picks a topic at a time to obsess over, of which I have no control over. smile
    Age 2: Knew all facts about Dinosaurs, period derived from, omnivore, herbivore, etc. Knew all his letters and letter sounds, counted to 1,000.
    Age 3: Reading books with paragraphs! Knew all States, Capitals, State Mottos
    Age 4: Obsessed with weather and chess.
    Age 5: MATH. Multiplying, dividing, etc. Also a NUT for an atlas and could probably tell you what interstates to take from our house to yours wherever you live in the USA. smile Still reading. Loves chapter books such as Geronimo Stilton, etc.

School has been the most discouraging experience for us this year and I'm bound and determined to get my son on track next year as well as to build an arsenal of facts to get him the help he deserves.

He was in half day kinder this year with a teacher who's differentiation was inconsistent at best and only included my son doing worksheets by himself in the corner of the room. After Fall MAP scores came out we finally felt they needed to do more and the administration agreed. My son spent the last 6 weeks of school in first grade. Unfortunately, the first grade teacher was unwilling to help him to adjust. He did GREAT with peer interaction and aced all assessments, however he wasn't able to "cut bunnies" fast enough for this teacher, etc. She wrote us a scathing email each few weeks with what he couldn't do and how he wasn't meant to be in first grade. Odd, considering he had the highest test scores, etc. Anyway, we just received our Spring MAP scores, (listed) and have scheduled him to complete the WISC next week. We actually pulled him from first grade the last few weeks of school, just because we felt so bad for all the negativity he was getting. Where our principal appeared to be "open" to help us, he too would rather we stay with my son's age mates rather than rock the boat further. He all but told us our son wasn't that special and could benefit by staying just where he was. With all this, we began feeling plain crazy for moving him up in the first place. Then Spring MAP scores came out...Me thinks we're not so crazy, right?!

I have JUST begun working with my son daily in math and reading, mostly just to unschool him from the negative experiences he had! frown I guess besides needing the support of you all who understand's these struggles, I'd like your take on if you feel as though our son is indeed heading down the gifted path or if he's simply an advanced learner and I'd love for you to comment and make suggestions for next year.

We are currently working on Singapore 2A, Spectrum Language grade 3 and Phonics Grade 3 as well as an online reading comprehension program, RAZ kids.

Many thanks for those of you who have opinions and suggestions.

C
    C
    Urg, I'm sorry. We took our dd13 out of 1st grade for a similarly poor experience with an inflexible teacher who killed her love of learning. Dd still bears a grudge against the teacher.

Your ds sounds gifted from what you've listed but I imagine that the WISC will tell you more.

He all but told us our son wasn't that special and could benefit by staying just where he was.
    That piece just gets my mommy hackles up. Possibly it is b/c my dd11's 3rd grade teacher said the same about her. She was "nothing special." Ouch!

Are you planning to homeschool long-term or just for now?

M
    M
    We just had a meeting with our son's school, and he had similar scores on the MAP. He is also in kindergarten, but his scores were normed against first graders. He was in the 99th percentile of first graders.. He also took the CogAt, and was in the 99th percentile for that for age.

The school is actually telling us to skip him to second grade next year, and so they showed us the scatter of scores for first graders he would be placed with (no names or identifying characteristics, just the scores) and the kids were all over the map in terms of CogAt/MAP/Ravens/Woodcock Johnson achievement scores.

I would say that depending on your/your school's criteria for giftedness, he may or may not be gifted, but that those scores are high enough that the school needs to figure out some way to work with him to get him the instruction and services he needs.

Last edited by mom of 1; 05/25/12 04:23 PM.
    F
    F
    Your sons scores are similar to my sons scores... reading 186 and math 206. My son took the WISC in December and has been identified as highly gifted. Our school district does not believe in subject or grade acceleration so first grade here we come! I just cant wait for first grade everyday math where domino dots and tick tallies get counted on a regular basis. This year the gifted teacher was involved in providing enrichment activities for our kindergarten teacher for my son. We had the blessings of our principal. Today, we got work that our principal resigned frown . I think it had to do with how half backward our district is and he is progressive. He will be missed.

We are almost done with Singapore 3a and he is on guided reading level k.

Sheila

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 05/25/12 06:30 PM. Reason: typos
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Friends,

I feel like a kid, I'm so excited to hear from ANYONE who understands! I very much appreciate your comments!!! Thank you! Thank you! laugh

Cricket: Yeah, that comment was disappointing and discouraging! frown It has set with me...obviously! I always thought we were realistic about ds's abilities, but this whole situation has us feeling crazy. Sadly, I am beginning to think they like to make you feel that way, so they don't have to do anything outside of their comfort zone. In terms of homeschooling, I'm not sure what I plan to do. Right now this works for us. After school started, it became apparent he was not going to get any direct instruction at his level, therefore HE began asking me for "math worksheets." Like I had some laying around! smile I still didn't do much, focusing more on how the school could work with him. I am kicking myself for all the wasted time and effort that would have better been spent working like we are now. We currently work 1 hour a day and it has been like heaven! He's flying through the materials I purchased and we are thoroughly enjoying our time learning together! I think I will take it as it comes, but I do plan to continue this consistent routine throughout the summer. One of the things about being "advanced" is that you don't really have clear expectations or routine at school. Hopefully, this will teach him that as well as boost his confidence and satisfy his intellectual cravings.

Mom of 1: Our school has NO gifted program, so I will be relying on the administration and teachers to provide adequate instruction. frown I wish you the best of luck next year! Have you decided to skip him?

Frannieandejsmom: Our boys are close!! smile I will be very interested to see our WISC results!!! How did they help you?
    I'm right there with you headed on to first grade next year. I even questioned our principal on what they planned to do with him considering he spent 6 weeks in first and aced it. He said, "Well, if he needs division problems instead of rocket math addition tests, we'll give him division." I'm fine with that, it's just that I'd like ds to have some peer (not age-mate!) interaction with children like himself. I'm not sure one grade skip would give him that anyway, but he was much happier. Guess what?! We too lost our principal, so I'm prayerful the incoming one will be open to providing more appropriate assistance! Oy! Who expected to go through this drama?!
    How are you liking Singapore? I LOVE it! We are whipping though 2A and it's exciting! My concern is when his knowledge surpasses mine... smile You should check out RAZ kids! It's pretty great! It is the program our district uses and it's still up for the summer! Yay! DS is at level O. He could do more, but with only 20 minutes of computer lab time per week, he could barely get the story read, then he'd have to wait a week to answer the questions. This is the nonsense I'm talking about! You'd think his teacher would figure out how to get him more computer time. Like duh, he's not like the kids on level A reading 1 sentence per page and answering 5 questions. It really made ds nervous to have to work so quickly and then wait a week to answer such tough questions. Now that he's working at home, it's actually enjoyable!
    I'll be curious what his Fall MAP scores look like now that mommy's in charge... tee, hee Maybe somebody will FINALLY listen?!

N
    N
    I'm also a long time lerker first time poster.My daughter 10 had
    many obsessions like your son did. Her test scores have always been in the 99 percentile and is a 2nd year magnet student in D54. Her old school is on the same street.(The previous poster will understand)I don't think a subject or grade acceleration would have worked for us simply because dealing with older kids at that time wouldn't of work. I must admit though her second grade teacher helped greatly being a former 5th grade teacher and really knew how to deal with my daughter. Also at the magnet
    school all the kids are gifted thus a third grader and a sixth grader get along. I don't think an average third grader is going to appreciate being with a first grader.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs