Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #130317 05/23/12 09:14 PM
    C
    Camille Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    My dad just found MY COGAT scores from when I was in HS over 20 years ago. I've posted before about my son's scatter on the WISC and I was blown away when looking at my own scores. I too have EXTREME scatter between verbal and nonverbal, only with higher verbal and lower nonverbal as opposed to my son. Scores are as follows
    VERBAL--136/97th percentile Quantitative 108/66th percentile and NONVERBAL-95/35th percentile. Now I'm wondering if I myself have an LD of some type. Reading/vocab come very easily to me while I struggled through HS and college with my math classes.

Wow Camille...that is a spikey profile for sure...If not a full LD then a significant bottleneck!

I'm curious...do you feel that you have caught up? Life is so different not with spellcheck and calculators on every phone. Did you teach yourself ways to work around? Did you bloom later?

Smiles
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    my son's scores for nonverbal were 35th percentile in 3rd grade; we took him in for a full eval. and while he has very low processing speed, most of his actual ability in math is pretty high. This 35th percentile for him meant he wasn't finishing the sections, not that he couldn't understand the work.
    Do you think you have speed issues re:computation or similar? I know I myself have had the same issues with speedy recall of math facts as my son, and have lived to have a great job in the I.T. field, so it is NOT necessarily the end of any chance of success in mathy-things. For folks/parents with kids with a number like that, I would caution reading too much into it, feeling like 'math is too hard' for that person and giving up entirely...as one number could definitely be misleading.

C
    C
    I guess that it depends on whether you found yourself that have real struggles in life or school. My mother, too, passed on my old school records to me a while back and I came across some cognitive ability group test that I had apparently taken twice at two different schools over the course of my education (we moved a lot). All it had was composite both times, but it appeared to be the same test. Once I was in the 84th percentile, once in the 99th. My later IQ scores support the 99th a lot better.

I also saw with my one dd who took both the WISC twice and the CogAT once that her strengths on the WISC were totally different than the CogAT. She scored very highly on the nonverbal part of the CogAT but just okay/semi-high on verbal. Both times on the WISC she was at or well above the 99th percentile on verbal.

Point being, I don't put a ton of stock into group test scores unless they align well with individual IQ scores or something seen in real life (true struggles in an area that aligns with the weakness on the test, etc.). A person with a real weakness in the nonverbal part of the CogAT should have difficulty with visual spatial things: rotating things in space, geometry, things of that sort.

C
    Camille Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't really feel as if I've ever caught up. I think I may have some processing issues as well. It takes a while for me to do simple calculations in my head, I feel foolish when I have to use a calculator for simple calculations that most people can do instantly. I was a late bloomer for sure. My first go at college I failed out. I was determined to finish in 3 years and loaded up on way too many classes including math. My second go at college I realized I needed to take it slower, and managed to graduate with a decent GPA.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM