Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    My 9 year old was tested for gifted classes and I got some results back & I guess they are going to further test him.. I don't know what these scores mean..

He took the KBIT II test.

Verbal 112
    Nonverbal 142
    IQ Composite 131

Does anybody know what this mean?
    Now they want to test him on Vision, Hearing, Academic/preacademic/develpmental Achievement, Intellectual Functioning & Personality Functioning...

I'm confused.. Thank you all!

1) He is gifted
    2) He has an unusually large discrepency between his Verbal score and his Nonverbal score. This could be an artifact of the test,just the natural way he is or it could be a sign of a 'hidden disability' that can be discovered and mediated in some way.

I'm glad to hear that they want to test further and try and tease that out. The further tests may reveal a 'big suprise' or them might be 'equivical.' It can sometimes take years to get a picture of what is going on.

There isn't a whole lot to do while you wait, which may be emotionally difficult. One thing you can do is to start keeping a journal of what you are learning. Another thing that might be helpful is to interview members of both sides of the family asking if there have been members who had any kind of mismatch between 'how bright they seemed' or 'how much potential they seemed to have' and smaller than expected achievment or larger than expected efforts to get good achievment.

Sometimes the most amazing things turn up.

Keep us posted on how things are progressing...read the stories here and see if any of it reminds you of your son.

Does this confirm your fears/suspicions? Remember that he is the same wonderful kid he always was. The numbers don't change him in any way, and may actually be a fluke.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    It sounds very positive that the school is going to do further testing! The things they will be looking at (vision, hearing etc) are things that, if there is some kind of challenge, could impact various subtests depending on the challenge, giving a significantly lower score than you'd expect based on the higher scoring subtests.

You might ask if they are going to do another type of ability test, to help understand if the 112 on Verbal was representative or a fluke due to any number of reasons such as kid being bored, not happy with testing a fly on the wall being more interesting than the test etc.

I'd also request a copy of the complete report on the KBIT II - I'm not familiar with it, but most tests our kids receive have subtests that are averaged into the scores that appear on the reports given to us or used by the school - so I'm guessing that more than one subtest went into the Verbal 112, and it can be good info to know whether or not each subtest was around 112 or one was much higher and another much lower, so that they averaged out to 112 but nothing was really 112.

I'd also think through how your ds' school experience has been so far. Was it his teacher or you who requested he be tested for the gifted program? Does he like school? Is he stronger in some areas than others? What does he like in school, and are there subjects he doesn't like? If the discrepancy in scores above really exists (rather than being due to some odd outside factor on one particular test day), I'm guessing he may be frustrated in some areas.

polarbear

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you so much for replying to my questions! I did post another reply, but I'm not sure where it went, so I figured that I would repost a reply..(also, I thought about it a little bit more) My son LOVES math, so I can see the nonverbal being a higher score.. My father was very intelligent (he was in the military for a long time (sgt mgr) and he worked with nuclear stuff).. My husband is also intelligent along with his grandfather who was a colonal in the marines... My younger son, seems to be doing extremely well in school also.. he is in kindergarten, but his strengths are reading, writing and he loves animals!

My son has only one friend at school and likes to be alone most of the time.. I'm also wondering if that might have something to do with a "hidden dissability"? I bet, knowing my son that he got bored with the test... Either way, I hope that he is accepted into the gifted classes because he makes all A's and constant 100's so easily... It's not even a challenge...

Thank you for your help & I pray that he is alright and doesn't have a dissability or anything...

polarbear- Thank you for explaining the vision/hearing thing to me... I was a little bit worried about that..

L
    L
    Where do you live? I'm very impressed with the school district for going the extra mile! Oh yea, and what grinity said!

C
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't know why, but I have tried to post replies and they aren't showing up for some reason.... I live in Broward County, FL (south florida).....

My son loves math & I'm wondering if that is why he did so well on that part of the test...
    My father was intelligent (he was in the army & worked with nuclear stuff).. My husband is also very smart along with his grandpa who was a colonial in the marines... My kindergartener should also be tested because he is very advanced for his age and the teacher always tells me about the questions he asks...

He has only one friend and doesn't have any friends in his class.. he tells me its because they don't like the same things as he does... He is very mature for his age & is also very serious...

I'm hoping that it was a fluke thing and that he doesn't have any "hidden dissabilities"...I can see him getting bored with the test because he tends to do that sometimes....but he LOVES math and he never gets bored with that, so that could explain why he did so well there? I don't know...

also, it was his teacher's idea to get him tested..

Last edited by Connie1976; 05/23/12 04:17 AM.
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    oh, I see why... I was posting on the quick reply... Those don't seem to work correctly...

Originally Posted by Connie1976
    ....but he LOVES math and he never gets bored with that, so that could explain why he did so well there? I don't know...
    It is hard to know at this point so it's great that they are following through on testing.

As far as kids loving subjects that they are good at, and being good at subjects they love, it's really difficult to know which is chicken and which is egg or what percentage.

Think of athletic kids - they seem so 'alive' when they are on the field. No one questions if they are good at it because they love it, or if they love it because they are good. And they don't love it all the time, there are plenty of moments of struggle. To me that just seems like a good discription of how humans are. I think humans are suceptible to feedback loops, or as I'm hearing it called now 'Virtuous Circles.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuous_circle_and_vicious_circle

Not sure I love the term, but it explains a lot of human behavior, particularly exceptional human behavior.

Good Luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    V
    V
    Hi, I am sorry to jump onto your thread but I am new and don't know how to start my own.

My 7 year old son had a full cognitive assessment at school by an educational psychologist because they thought he was showing signs of ASD and these were the results I was given via telephone

Verbal comprehension: Outstanding(?)
    Perceptual reasoning: High Average
    Working Memory : Low Average
    Processing Speed : Top Low Average

I'm not sure what tests he was given or what this all means everytime I google I keep getting a list of gifted websites..please can someone help me?

Thanks

T
    T
    That sounds like the WISC IV. I can tell you that working memory and processing speed are often limiting in young kids (there's even a measure which excludes them). processing speed can be limited by small motor issues. Perceptual reasoning is a measure of abstract thought, puzzles and the like, intelligence if you want to call it that, hopefully clear of any motor issues.

To me as an absolute amateur, it looks like he is bright, but is having problems with memory and motor skills. But knowing the name of the test you should be able to find some better info.

I found some links that might get you started
    http://www.vdps.net/special/test.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21638108
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/w889903642j72223/

Looks like it's a very common pattern in ASD as well as in gifted kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM