Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ah, true love!

grin

Kriston
    Isa Offline
    Now I am curious.... is this your first book?

What is about? Can you make a general outline?

In any case, have lots of fun with it and hopefully lots of success with finding a publisher!

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, first book, and hopefully it will be a series. That's how I conceived the project, so books 2, 3 and 4 (and maybe even 5, if I do the prequel) wouldn't be afterthoughts or attempts to cash in if the book is a success. A series is how I've envisioned the story from the start. It's a BIG story, truly epic, spanning generations and continents.

Of course, I have to get the first book published before they'll publish the series...

Anyway, it's about the wife of Eirik the Red, who is also the mother of Leif Eiriksson, and little is known about her. We know where she was born, where she lived, who her kids and parents were, and that she refused to sleep with her DH--who was booted out of two countries for killing people, remember!--until he converted to Christianity...so he built her a church! That was the fact that sparked the whole project. "What was this woman like?" I wondered. She seemed like she must have been really something!

Her name is basically unpronounceable by Americans and it includes letters we don't have in our alphabet, but it sounds something like "Thyoth-hild." (I'll call her "Thj" for short, since those first 3 letters of her name are in our alphabet!) The first book follows a childhood danger that leads to her betrothal and early marriage to Eirik, his affair with a neighbor and the ramifications of that relationship, and a natural disaster that sparks violence and leads to Eirik's 3-year banishment from Iceland. Because of that banishment, he decides to uproot his family and friends and settle Greenland.

I always talk about the book in terms of the famous quote about Ginger Rogers doing everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels--that's Thj's story, too. She was part of the first European settlement in Greenland, too, but she was having babies and raising another woman's children as she did it. At the time childbirth was more dangerous than war, so this is no small thing! I think she was a pretty remarkable person, and I've fallen in love with the Norse in general and with Iceland. Gorgeous country.

Book 1 ends as they prepare to leave for Greenland. Book 2 will pick up on the longship as they sail across the North Atlantic, losing 2 ships along the way.

So that's the book. Hopefully it's full of compelling characters, as well as some sex and violence appropriate to the tale I'm telling. It's definitely a fun read, not great art, though! smile

I could babble about it all day and get no work done on it though. Not smart!

Thanks for asking, Isa. laugh

Kriston
    Ann Offline
    Okay ... now I'm hooked, so you must get it published ASAP! School ends May 9, and I'm ready for non law school reading. I'm also ready for a trip to Iceland. grin

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Ann. Unfortunately, it will probably be summer before the draft is polished if I'm being realistic. I just don't have the time to go whole hog with the revising until school is out and I have 5+ hours of babysitting a day and weather warm and dry enough to allow me to send the sitter and the kids to the park for the day. Virginia Woolf was right about the 500 pounds and a room of one's own if a woman wants to write!

*sigh*

But my sincere thanks for the interest! And Isa, thanks for making me write a draft of my letter to agents! smile

Kriston
    Isa Offline
    Mmmm, really interesting !!!

and I have been in Iceland hehehe - just for a few days and plan to go back with the kids once they are a little bit older (and DS less wild..)

Will you send me a dedicated copy?

And on top I like this kind of sagas smile

Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    But my sincere thanks for the interest! And Isa, thanks for making me write a draft of my letter to agents! smile

Welcome smile

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Excellent! I think you'd like the book then, Isa. It's very firmly based in the sagas, but from the point-of-view of a woman. Where there's disagreement about the accuracy of the sagas vs. archaeology, I decided what worked best for the story and tried to explain why the other view might have originated. That didn't happen often, but it made for some fun plot puzzles to work out. smile

Isn't Iceland just miraculous?! I went for the sole purpose of researching the book, and I really felt it was the most incredible place I'd ever seen. Ann, you really should go there if you have the chance. It's a pricey place, but it's spectacular!

Here you go: I'll make a promise to sign the copy of anyone from this forum who asks...assuming I get the darn thing published! With the the help and support I've gotten here, I owe you all that much!

Expect no freebies, though! Real friends buy the book. wink

Kriston
    E
    E
    Glad to buy it and looking forward to reading it smile

Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Isn't Iceland just miraculous?! I went for the sole purpose of researching the book, and I really felt it was the most incredible place I'd ever seen. Ann, you really should go there if you have the chance. It's a pricey place, but it's spectacular!

(...)

Expect no freebies, though! Real friends buy the book. wink

Iceland is another world.... and the fish is the BEST I have ever eten (sp?) mmmmm smile

And yes of course, I will buy the book smile

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...