Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #129781 05/16/12 08:59 AM
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    OK peeps... where can I get one of these done for my kiddo?? He is in private school and they don't do it. Is there a way to sign up and pay for it somewhere??
    PLease let me know....

http://www.lexile.com/about-lexile/How-to-get-lexile-measures/

may help.

As far as MAP, you can call the local public schools, say that you are interested in perhaps enrolling next year, and would they be so kind as to let your child do a MAP test. (assumes that they are using it)

Good luck!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    Are you sure you need it? What types of testing does your school do? Do you need specific tests for qualifying for a gifted program, are you looking for out-of-grade level testing to advocate for acceleration, or are you just looking for info?

I only ask because two of my kiddos are in private school, and each school has nationally-normed testing that they give to all the students - it's not the same set of tests given to kids in our public schools, but depending upon what you need the testing for, it's still potentially useful.

One place to start is to ask the resource person at your ds' school (if they have one) or ask his teacher.

Best wishes,

polarbear

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    AHHHH ok, I just did some sniffing around... his school does ERB testing starting in 2nd grade (next year) and this appears to be an achievement test that provides lexile scores.

No real reason - just curious. I like to make sure he is keeping up!!

J
    J
    My kid is also in private but they do use MAP. I don't know if the scores are particularly useful, though the test itself is said to be well designed. I didn't find the Lexile range generated by the MAP reading test results to be terribly useful.

I think that once you more than a few grade levels above the child's current grade, cultural knowledge and real world experience, rather than text processing skills, are the limiting factors in reading comprehension. I guess the important thing is that your child's text processing ability is sufficient to handle material in any other subjects that he or she may be accelerated in (e.g., science or social studies texts at higher grade levels).

Other than that, I think your child is "keeping up" if he or she enjoys reading and doesn't shy away from challenging material (as opposed to boring material), but that's just me. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent