Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    So it looks certain that dd11 will be skipping 6th grade and starting 7th in the fall (well actually August). Math is her relative weakness, but she has still been around the 98th-99% on grade level tests. Explore score in 5th on math was 14 (only 11th% compared to Duke TIP 2011 5th graders). On WISC IV VMI was relatively weak (119) compared to VCI (148).

She was in a private Montessori until the end of Feb., since then in public 5th grade classroom (and, sadly, I am not sure what exactly they do for math). I don't have grade level CRCTs for 5th or the 7th grade above level testing results yet. I am sure that part of why her math score isn't higher is because she just hasn't been exposed to the stuff yet.

So, my question is, what if they say yes to the skip but want to keep her in regular 7th grade math instead of honors?
    This is the criteria for math placement:

Math 7th-completion of math 6th

Math 7th advanced-completion of math 6th ADV with 90% or greater test average OR 92% or greater test avg to move from math 6 AND 860 on 6th grade math CRCT or top 20%

Math 7th/8th-completion of math 6/7 with 92% test avg. and 875 on6th grade crct or top 20%

I think the middle one would be fine for her, but she would prob need to do some work over the summer. So, tips on what to say/do if school wants her in lowest 7th grade math level, and also on what resources to use over the summer.

Thank you! Meeting is on 24th.

Last edited by deacongirl; 05/18/12 05:44 AM.
    G
    G
    My dd skipped 6th grade also, and the concern was that there would be gaps in math. The school loaned her the 6th grade math book over summer. She self studied and when she felt comfortable with the material, she would go to the school and take each chapter test and the final exam.
    Would the school be willing to do this? It worked out great for us.

Last edited by Gatorgirl; 05/18/12 06:30 AM.
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Gatorgirl
    My dd skipped 6th grade also, and the concern was that there would be gaps in math. The school loaned her the 6th grade math book over summer. She self studied and when she felt comfortable with the material, she would go to the school and take each chapter test and the final exam.
    Would the school be willing to do this? It worked out great for us.

That sounds like a practical solution. Thanks for the idea.

I love Aleks.com for 'gap filling' I find it's quite cheap and I love the pie charts. I wouldn't expect it to do teaching, but more to identify which skills are in place and which skill aren't. You may want to sit with her and observe her, to see if you can analzye what sorts of mistakes she tends to make. I'd like a AI program that can do that, sort of like Amazon.com '40% of kids who gave that answer make an addition mistake at step 3' but as far as I know, that isn't availible yet.

It'll be cool when it arrives, though!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM