Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Has anyone had their child take art of Problem solving classes on-line at school? Is that possible? I am looking into paying for a program for my son to take, but when I looked these courses there are hours that look like are at night...so wasn't sure how it would work for him to take it during the day. Is there another way to still take it at school? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Val Offline
    My son uses an AoPS textbook at school. He's working independently. We go over ideas at home, and then he works on his own at school.

I agree that the course times are a bit of a pain. I wish they offered times for homeschoolers (which we're strongly consdering for next year).

It might be worth sending emails to them.

Last edited by Val; 05/08/12 12:06 PM. Reason: Err, left out critical detail
    W
    W
    cty has AoPS and you can do it anytime online.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    thanks! He does qualify for all the CTY courses since he took the SCAT this year....but are they the more expensive CTY prices or are they the art of problem solving prices? CTY courses are quite pricey.

I am not sure about my son doing the textbook at school. so far he hasn't really needed much help with anything. DS7 is in a 3rd grade classroom and earlier this year he was finishing up one of the district's programs and was doing 8th grade math and the teacher said she couldn't help him because she only really knew up through 7th grade. So I imagine that may be an issue next year when he is in 4th and doing highschool math. It would be nice to have an online program with tutorials or some other guidance so that the teacher doesn't have to be interrupted from teaching the other kids too.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    thanks! He does qualify for all the CTY courses since he took the SCAT this year....but are they the more expensive CTY prices or are they the art of problem solving prices? CTY courses are quite pricey.

I've read that the CTY elementary school math curriculum is the same as that of EPGY, which is available for $135 for 10 months through open enrollment http://epgy.stanford.edu/school/openenroll/info .

M
    M
    We are looking into supplementing AoPS into school next year for our son 9 in 4th next year. He took 5th grade math this year. We need something for next year. His math teacher says she has nothing else for him also.

We have lined up a HS teacher as more of a mentor. He can help with the course and design a well rounded Math program... fingers crossed, trial and error at best.

Val Offline
    Added: my son uses an AoPS textbook at school, not the school textbook.

P
    P
    Check out Khan Academy. It's free and it has plenty of video lectures and your DS can do it at his own pace.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by kcab
    What about doing his homework and Alcumus problems (if assigned for his course) during school hours? The classes, at least the ones I've looked at, are once a week. That part would have to be out of school, unless they added a homeschool-friendly time.
    I guess the class is only once a week...I wonder if that is a possibility. Is there enough homework and work during the week to keep him occupied for about an hour a day at school with math though? I guess if not the rest could be filled in with Khan academy or something else.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I've read that the CTY elementary school math curriculum is the same as that of EPGY, which is available for $135 for 10 months through open enrollment http://epgy.stanford.edu/school/openenroll/info .
    Thanks, we did EPGY with him a couple years ago and it worked well...except the computer at school was too slow and with open enrollment there is not help and a few times he wanted guidance and no one could help him. I may look into it again though because he did seem to like it.

Originally Posted by Peter
    Check out Khan Academy. It's free and it has plenty of video lectures and your DS can do it at his own pace.
    He does like Khan academy and they let him do that some at school...but right now they let him do that in addition to the 5th grade curriculum. Next year I am recommending him doing a computer program in place of a curriculum since 6th grade math is in another building entirely. So I don't think they would allow Khan academy to replace a curriculum.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Val
    My son uses an AoPS textbook at school. He's working independently. We go over ideas at home, and then he works on his own at school.

So does your son work when the other kids in his class are doing their math? Does he stay in the same room or go to a different location to work? Is there a time he needs help and if so, is there someone able to help him? DS7 does math and work and has never required any help or assistance...but honestly I would like him to work at a level in which he may have some questions and am worried that no one will be available to help him.

I am trying to figure out what to recommend at his upcoming meeting and the logistics of everything smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM