Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #128979 05/04/12 09:38 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    like people don't talk fast enough for you or get to the point quickly enough? It's as if I can tell already what it is they are trying to say before they even finish completely. Examples would be at a conference, a lecture, directions, etc. But sometimes even with my own husband and friends. However, I am concerned that maybe this is a symptom of ADD.

LoL.. I always just assumed I was very very impatient. My DH is constantly annoyed with me for interrupting.. he takes these long breaks in the middle of his sentences and it drives me bonkers. What are you stopping for? Keep talking, FINISH ALREADY. lol

~amy
    S
    S
    LOL! yep yep yep...but I read somewhere in Ruf's book, I think that many gifted people are capable of talking/processing at the same time, so 2 gifted people can sit and interrupt and talk over/listen at the same time happily...made me feel better, I just always assumed I was impatient/rude.... wink

S
    S
    That bit in the Ruf book was my favorite! I so do this and have been training myself for years to knock it off but in my family it's just accepted. I did feel relief like she said!

And yes. Also the readers at church or similar drive my batty. I always read through a month's worth of readings during the one read aloud.

D
    D
    Constantly. I did think at one pt. that it was impulsivity associated with ADHD (which I believe I have), but now I think the best explanation is intellectual overexcitability. I think this is why it is so much easier to hang out with smart and quick people. I am not constantly biting my tongue to keep from interrupting. There are times it is really a struggle and I know how obnoxious it is to not rein it in. But, if I know exactly where someone is going it can be excruciating to wait for them to get there. Oh, just read Speehie's comment--yes--exactly. I have some friends (not enough) where we can do this and it works.

E
    E
    I'm Southern. I would drive you all insane.

And don't you dare subtract IQ points for my accent!

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    J
    J
    I remember when I was a med student on my psychiatry rotation, I started to think I had every mental illness possible. I confessed this to my psych attending that my thoughts kept coming into my head, faster and faster!
    He looked at me with a serious look of concern and said, I know what this isZ,
    I thought, is it ADD, schizophrenia, bipolar?...
    He said, "it 's called.... Intelligence!"

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM