Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 232 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    polarbear #128603 05/01/12 11:33 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I don't know where any of the boys in my dd's 4/5 class are re puberty, but back when I was in 5th grade my best friend's boy friend was pressuring her to have sex. So whether you want your dd to know about it yet or not, there's a statistical *chance* she might need to know about it.

polarbear

I guess I made an assumption that polarbear's best friend was also in 5th grade. Perhaps that was an incorrect assumption.

Now that I'm hearing all the discussion, I guess learning the facts from reliable sources such as myself and school are better than all the gossip on the playground. Thanks!

master of none #128611 05/01/12 12:26 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Mon, Thanks for getting it. I do want her to have correct info when she is ready to hear it. I just don't think all kids are ready to hear it at the same time. Right now she doesn't want to hear any of it. She's just a different soul who right now thinks talks of anatomy and sex are gross. It's tough though, because if the other kids are learning they will certainly talk about what they learned. Unfortunately, they may embellish a little or may not have learned everything correctly.

DorothyS #128615 05/01/12 01:35 PM
    W
    W
    This topic baffled me at first. It took me reading the commentary to even understand why it would be an issue. Wolf is 7 and just finished doing the 7th grade science textbook which had anatomy in it. He has known about genetics and reproduction for years now.

I don't think I'd like him sitting through relationship stuff though. First of all I don't think it's appropriate for schools to be teaching that stuff to begin with. Facts, yes, even about diseases and birth control, but interpersonal relationship stuff? That really strikes me as something that can't be standardized or that should be a one time whole school thing, like bully training. You don't need a class dedicated to relationships or even to avoiding abusive situations. Maybe a general overview, but that's something that families should be covering and/or teachers keeping an eye out for at school. I don't remember anything like that in my sex ed class, but then I didn't have sex ed till sophomore year in high school.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM