Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 343 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Giftodd--sorry, the first time I posted I had overlooked that you were in Australia. So forget about the "History of US" unless you for some reason care about US history. However, I forgot to mention that I have found some good recommendations on Amazon (sorry--also the US site, but I'm sure you could find them there and then buy elsewhere if necessary) and also on the Hoagie's Gifted site, in case you haven't heard of it (it'll come right up if you Google).

P
    P
    I was going to mention the Marguerite Henry books also - I read them when I was in early elementary and *loved* them. Do you think she also might enjoy books like Ribsy? Or the Wayside School books?

There was a series of books about collies that I also loved at around the time I read the Marguerite Henry books - I think they were written by Albert Terhune? I am sorry that I can't remember details, but I don't think they had much (if anything) sad or scary in them.

polarbear

H
    H
    How about that series "All Creatures Great and Small" about the country veterinarian?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by happyreader
    How about that series "All Creatures Great and Small" about the country veterinarian?

There are a few stories in those books that deal with animals dying, and some other fairly intense emotional situations. I ate them up as a kid, and still love them, but they could certainly have triggers for a highly sensitive child.

C
    C
    I second the Konigsburg books (From the Mixed Up Files....; A View from Saturday, etc.). Also, how about the Blue Baillett books (Chasing Vermeer, The Wright Three, The Calder Games)...these are fun art-based mysteries that the kids solve. Also, although the Series of Unfortunate Events have all sorts of "tragedies", it is handled in such a hysterical way, that I don't think it is the same as reading Harry Potter. Agree on the Penderwicks!!! How about Charlotte's Web? It is sad, but I'm not sure if it is mostly human-death that is bothering her? Also consider the Mysterious Benedict Society books.

And I wouldn't worry if any books might seem "easy" to you. There are so many amazing stories--Just because we are capable of reading Anna Karenina, doesn't mean we need to do that every day. It would be a shame to miss some of the amazing younger stories. She can whip right through them.

Good luck.

G
    Giftodd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks so much for all these wonderful suggestions. I should mention I'm not fussed what she's capable of reading as long as she's enjoying it.I just find if it hasn't got much depth she only lasts a chapter or two which was what got me asking - I've been borrowing bunches of books for her that I know wont upset her, but ulimately a lot of the drama in rally interesting books involves 'bad things happening'. I try not to shield her from them, but I do like to let her control what she's comfortable with for her reading (especially because I don't really do much vetting other than a skim of a few pages).

I really appreciate all the suggestions smile

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    There is a Catwings series by Ursula LeGuin that is a kindler, gentler sci-fi series. My daughter's teacher found these for my daughter years ago and she loved them.

My daughter was a good reader, but did not like anything scary - i.e. where anyone died. They are not Harry Potter level, but she loved them.

D
    D
    Giftodd,
    Coincidentally yesterday we had quite a revelation. DH got a Nook to take on a trip and it turns out there are all kinds of free books you can get from Barnes & Noble (sorry--don't know the availability in AU, but it looks from their website that they do ship to AU). We only realized this because of course DD saw the Nook and wanted to use it--ended up reading HG Wells' "The Time Machine"--for free! And then was asking for more! So we're hoping her interest stays high, especially because maybe I won't have to trek to the bookstore so much.

Also our public library does e-loans of e-books, although we just figured out DD's interest and so haven't figured out how worthwhile that will be.

P
    P
    Ultramarina beat me to suggesting The Penderwicks and the Anne series. DD is dyslexic but loved these on audio books. Also check out The Mysterious Benedict Society series - it's about 4 profoundly gifted kids. Another possibility is The Sisters Grimm series. It can be a bit dark but an interesting twist - the descendents of the brothers Grimm find themselves living in a town inhabited by fairy tale characters who are now living in the modern world. It's interesting because the series brings in characters from every story imaginable. The later books get progressively more dark but a very cool concept.

I also endorse The Mixed up Files... fabulous!!!! Be careful with Betsy and Tacey - in one book a baby sister dies. That ended that series for us. I don't remember which book it was though. There is also a baby that dies in one of the later Anne books...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM