Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Cricket -- thanks so much for the info. I do sometimes wonder and worry about why dd is so reluctant to speak up? Is it something in her social and emotional experience or something in her brain? Even her gifted teacher at school has said how quiet she is. (Although she still does really well with kids at school -- isn't really afraid a lot and seems to enjoy school -- so she isn't really what I would call just shy.) Also, her gifted teacher talks about how persistant she is -- working slowly but surely on something, and while other kids just give up and move on she never gives up -- and she just works until she's right -- and she's always right.

How old was your DD when ADD became apparent? I can see that -- sort of -- with Natalie -- but not in a hyper way at all -- more in a my brain is going faster than I can keep up with sort of a way.

She had reflex anoxic seizures (an involuntary breath-holding spell from pain or startle that leads to passing and out and then a seizure) from 14 mos - 4.5 years. Believe it or not -- she got it from me -- I had them too. It is like her brain couldn't process the pain or startle info and just shut down -- once it matured a bit it was able to take in the information and sort through it (my words - not a doctor's). But I sometimes wonder if it is the same thing with her intelligence?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Artsmartmom
    How old was your DD when ADD became apparent? I can see that -- sort of -- with Natalie -- but not in a hyper way at all -- more in a my brain is going faster than I can keep up with sort of a way.
    My dd, too, is not hyper per se although she can talk non-stop at home (she, too, is known by her teachers for being quiet and when I see how she is at school she looks present in body only at times).

In hindsight, it was apparent from early on -- by 1st grade at least and possibly much, much sooner. B/c her issues are related to "inattentiveness," which seems to be her attention being in too many places or her mind moving in many directions at once rather than inability to pay attention from what I can see, the issues really weren't something that would be issues prior to school, though.

When she's been asked to do tasks, such as reading, that require prolonged attention to one thing without the mental divergences, that's when it has been really apparent. She takes forever on things b/c she can't stay focused on that one thing or she does less than her best b/c she can't or doesn't sustain the mental energy needed to stick it through and do her best.

Those types of issues were apparent by 1st grade but not to teachers b/c she was still performing well by the standards they had, which were for children of average intellect. Likewise, I suspect that many or most of her current teachers would say the same -- they don't see the LD b/c she compensates well enough that she does not stand out to someone who doesn't know her as well as I do.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM