Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Artsmartmom
    So guess who woke up with a fever this morning!? frown Yep, DD6. So, on Wed. night she woke up hot and a bit sweaty but from her room being warm -- no fever, no complaints of not feeling well. She was happy and excited all morning yesterday and then seemed quite reserved going into the testing yesterday, but perked back up after and we actually had a mommy daughter afternoon at the mall. Then this morning slept in late (not like her) and went in to get her up for school and she's in bed sick, warm, and stuffed up. frown

So maybe she wasn't feeling well yesterday!? Ack!!

It was her first 1:1 testing and we just told her that the doctor wanted to see how she learns best. We said she'd be doing puzzles and thing similar to what she does with her gifted teacher at school, etc.

Soooooo....
    My youngest was in that spot with the EXPLORE when she took it. She told me that she's wasn't feeling that well on the way in, but I figured that she just didn't want to take it and it was the last testing of the season, so I made her go anyway (I know, this is beginning to sound a lot more like this is on me than your situation lol!). when I picked her up, she had an outright fever and started vomiting in the car on the way home.

FWIW, while I think that it was far from her best performance, she had a few areas such as math where she did quite well none the less.

It's been so long since my kids were tested on the WISC-IV that I can't recall how long that took, though, on your original question and they both took it in connection with a bunch of other tests on the same day so I'm not sure what time was devoted to the WISC and what time was part of other tests. Like others have said, 1.5 hrs sounds about right, though.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Oh wow -- that's crazy, Cricket! I can't believe how many people have similar stories!! And look at all of these smart cookies doing great under difficult circumstances!

Got the results! And talk about unusual circumstances, we were in the car on the way to the children's hospital for an x-ray for my younger daughter who is having GI issues -- so not an emergency, but we had to get there before the end of the day so I was trying to take notes while driving so that was interesting!

Anyway, she qualified!

So I guess her comprehension was low b/c she was really hesitant to warm up and talk much (it was a 10) so she switched to information instead which she said takes more one-word answers and she got a 17. And then her processing was only 97 -- she said just really taking her time and trying to do everything perfectly which she said wasn't uncommon with gifted kids. So, with the two low scores I guess her full scale (is that what it is called?) was 132. Which qualifies, because with the range it still gets to 133. And her GAI (which is also accepted by our district) -- and I am not even really familiar with what that is but she said it was throwing out the slow processing speed since that isn't unusual for gifted kids -- was 146. So she's well within the district standards, and she'll be writing a recommendation as such.

So, whew! I am not even really sure what to think! Happy, of course! Kinda shocked!

E
    E
    Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that she qualified.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks Elizabeth! Me too. smile Now for a drink! ha, ha!

Congratulations!

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    B
    B
    Wow, all that good news AND it's the weekend! Nice!

C
    C
    So I guess her comprehension was low b/c she was really hesitant to warm up and talk much (it was a 10) so she switched to information instead which she said takes more one-word answers and she got a 17. And then her processing was only 97 -- she said just really taking her time and trying to do everything perfectly which she said wasn't uncommon with gifted kids. So, with the two low scores I guess her full scale (is that what it is called?) was 132. Which qualifies, because with the range it still gets to 133. And her GAI (which is also accepted by our district) -- and I am not even really familiar with what that is but she said it was throwing out the slow processing speed since that isn't unusual for gifted kids -- was 146. So she's well within the district standards, and she'll be writing a recommendation as such.
    That's just what my same dd from above's profile looked like -- 130 FSIQ and 148 GAI with a low comprehension score (12) vs. much higher other scores in the other two verbal indices.

Congrats!

Congratulations! Exciting news for you!

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks everyone!

Cricket -- does that "mean" anything (other than the obvious) when there is such a big difference between the FSIQ and GAI?

I have to tell you since I am going through a bit of a medical mystery with my younger daughter it is really nice to have this mystery revealed -- and now I know I'm not crazy. smile Whew!

C
    C
    Cricket -- does that "mean" anything (other than the obvious) when there is such a big difference between the FSIQ and GAI?
    I would hesitate to say anything for sure based solely on an IQ profile. Especially in your instance since your dd may have been sick, it may just have been an off day.

My dd is twice exceptional, however. It has become more obvious as she's gotten older (both that she is very gifted and that she has something else going on). She is HG and has an ADD diagnosis and possible dyslexia. When she was younger, she tended to look "bright," but neither significantly gifted nor LD to many people.

She, none the less, performs well above grade level in everything and is doing well in accelerated classes. She does have challenges, though, and doesn't perform on par with 99.9th percentile as I'd expect it.

I suspect that she is able to do as well as she does despite her other issues b/c she is very, very intelligent.

OTOH, my older dd is not 2e and she had a bit of a nutty profile on the WISC-IV as well when she as 7. Her FSIQ and GAI weren't as far apart mostly b/c she also bombed one piece of the perceptual reasoning index, which is part of the GAI and FSIQ, and b/c she did very well on the working memory index, which is only in the FSIQ not GAI so her rather low processing speed index didn't depress the FSIQ much below the GAI.

My oldest was uncooperative to some extent and had some major anxiety issues going at the point she was tested.

I mention the second one b/c there are times when you get really high #s combined with really low #s (my kiddo's ranged from 8-19+ within one index) and there is no 2e issue going on, just a kid being a kid.

Last edited by Cricket2; 04/27/12 08:03 PM. Reason: clarify
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...