Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by sweetpeas
    Thank you all!!!

Grinity - if I could reach through the screen and give you a big hug, I would. I LOVE the idea of the daily worksheet for the teacher. It's brilliant! I just created the form and e-mailed the school to let them know about it. I'll send 5 along in his backpack on Monday. Hopefully they will actually fill them out. If they don't.... well, all the more reason to leave the school now.

Communication with his teacher hasn't been great, and I hope this will help.

I am really leaning heavily towards pulling him out for this summer and letting him start fresh in the Fall at the new pre-K school. I just have to convince my DH. But... we'll see. Maybe we will have a big turnaround here. My son is happy and well behaved when he is home with me - so, it seems logical to keep him at home. Thank you all again, this thread has been a total sanity saver. I'm so grateful and touched that you all have taken the time to share your stories and suggestions. It means so much to me - and my husband too! THANK YOU!!!

I'll keep you all posted as things develop and as I undoubtedly need more advice.

I agree with the bolded. And I also love the daily report idea from Grinity. May just have to steal it! Hope that things improve at the school.

L
    L
    I am just curious, and feel free to not answer if you prefer, but why is your DH against pulling him out?

I think your plan to take him out for the summer is solid. There is no reason to put him in this environment if he is not happy there. And I think your concerns about how it could effect his self-esteem are very valid. You definitely don't want him to start thinking there is something wrong with HIM just because the classroom environment is not right. I would definitely say that this happened to my DS to a degree, although he is doing MUCH better now that he is a bit older!

Just to be on the safe side I'd be prepared to accept that no school will work.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    LNEsMom - My DH says he doesn't want to pull him out because he wants "continuity" and also he doesn't want to send the message that when things get difficult for our son that we'll just change schools. I think other other issue, although unspoken, is that my husband works at home and it would be distracting (even if I was the one with my son all day).

Last edited by sweetpeas; 04/23/12 03:15 PM.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Just to be on the safe side I'd be prepared to accept that no school will work.

ACK! eek

LOL... I hear ya, though. I've told my husband more than once that we (I) may end up homeschooling him. He wasn't too excited about that, of course. I mean, if he doesn't want a 3-year-old home all summer of course homeschooling won't sound appealing to him.

I'd prefer to find a school that works, but I'm all for homeschooling if it is the best option. I have high hoped for the private gifted school. But, yeah, I'm trying to plant some ideas with DH that school might always be a tough fit for DS.

Well, you don't have to actually be at HOME to homeschool. You could use the public library for 'school time' or the park or anywhere, really. There's no reason you have to stay at the house.

~amy
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...