Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Well DS6's IEP meeting was today and we got the results of the autism evaluation. We're in Missouri and he doesn't meet the criteria for an actual "autism" diagnosis though he scored in the autism spectrum. The OT also noted that on the "social IQ" his scores were well below his IQ and normally they're more on the same level. We had to go with "emotional disturbance" as the official reason he qualifies for special school district services but the principal & gifted director were quick to remind me the label is just for the IEP and can change if we feel it needs to. Its more important that this will allow him to have the support in place he needs. He'll continue his social skills class which he really enjoys and we'll work on classroom strategies to help him manage his frustration with unstructured environments.

I addressed if his behavior issues would make him unsuitable for the gifted program he'll start for 1st grade. Its a full day program and I want to make sure its a good fit. His current principal was an assistant principal at the school the gifted program is housed in (the gifted program shares art, Gym & some music with age mates in standard classes). He was very familiar with the program and told me that my son wouldn't be the first student they'd dealt with that had similar challenges.

Now here comes my big thank you. To everyone who's responded and given me great advice on this forum! The gifted director pulled me aside and said the strategies I'd sent DS to school with when he was having issues were excellent. She asked where I found my ideas. I told her I had posted the problems on this forum and the responses (especially relating to Aspergers) led me to some resources. She knew about the forum and said she thought is was excellent too!

So thank you all for sharing your challenges, solutions and even your complaints. Its wonderful to be able to reach out to those who have an idea of the road you're walking.

D
    D
    Hi, Irishmaggie,

Congratulations on making it through the meeting and being so effective! That's great!

Originally Posted by irishmaggie
    Well DS6's IEP meeting was today and we got the results of the autism evaluation. We're in Missouri and he doesn't meet the criteria for an actual "autism" diagnosis though he scored in the autism spectrum. The OT also noted that on the "social IQ" his scores were well below his IQ and normally they're more on the same level. We had to go with "emotional disturbance" as the official reason he qualifies for special school district services but the principal & gifted director were quick to remind me the label is just for the IEP and can change if we feel it needs to.

I think if you aren't doing so already, you should pursue an evaluation by an autism expert outside of the school system, to be very sure what kinds of autistic features you're dealing with.

Once you have that in place, I'd recommend going back to them with your expert's opinion and changing the identification. Autism spectrum disorders are not a form of emotional disturbance. Normally any child who is on the autism spectrum (autism, Asperger's, PDD-NOS) should be identified in the IEP as having "autism" as the qualifying disability.

As you say, it doesn't matter at this point as long as he's getting what he needs. But you definitely won't want him placed with emotionally disturbed kids-- for a kid with autism, especially a bright one, that would make everything worse.

Its more important that this will allow him to have the support in place he needs. He'll continue his social skills class which he really enjoys and we'll work on classroom strategies to help him manage his frustration with unstructured environments.

Great. This is all very important.

He was very familiar with the program and told me that my son wouldn't be the first student they'd dealt with that had similar challenges.

Good-- know that they can't legally discriminate against your DS due to his disability.

I know you'll be keeping an eye on how things go; keep a diary if you can, so you can track patterns of behavior (for DS it was art and gym days in the early years).

We found at that age that DS needed outside behavior therapy to make gains at school-- what the school could offer was not going to be enough for him. So you'll want to evaluate for that at some point too.

At risk of repeating myself, there are great resources in the parent forum at OASIS at MAAP-- http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/Home.aspx

Kudos to you!

DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent