Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 343 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    you got your scores! that's great. we are still waiting!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by momtofour
    Is this something to be concerned about? Because it sort of seems like she hasn't learned much this year...or at least not what the Explore is testing? I just didn't expect the reading and english scores to go down and thought math might go up by more than one point.

I am adding my voice to the others saying that both reports point to the need for her to be taught at a higher level. I look at my two boys - both are good at math and both were tested on the EXPLORE in 4th grade. Ds1 got a 19, ds2 got a 25. Now, honestly, if I had to pick one as the stronger math student, I'd probably pick ds1. So, why the difference? Well, ds2 took the test in 3rd grade (albeit not through NUMATS), ds2 got subject acceleration in math, ds2 benefitted from some of the opportunities ds1 had (doing some of the problems that ds1 did as part of the math team this year)...
    So, you might glance at these two scores and think ds1 is good at math, but ds2 is great, but that would be wrong. Ds1 didn't even own a calculator before he tested on EXPLORE, and his teacher at the time didn't believe in challenging him. It was probably a heck of a lot more impressive for him to get a 19 than for ds2 to get a 25 in the same grade. This is learnable material - your dd's high scores both years show a ton of potential- the English grade is pretty amazing and really shows that she GETS it at a very high level. But she can't learn this stuff by osmosis.
    I'd go in and say, "hey, I'm paying for my dd to learn - she's already well above the average 8th grader but she's making no progress. She needs material at her level!"

I hate to say it, but she probably isn't learning very much because she probably already knows what they are teaching her. frown

Yes. I think you are right about this, so I am finally asking for a full skip. We will see what happens. I wish some of you could come to the meeting with me! (even though they have a policy, and I know that at some point some kids in the district have been skipped, who knows what this particular principal's attitude is towards skipping.) I guess it is good to find out now since dd5 is heading there in the fall though.

OH-she also isn't at the private school any longer because we moved. We are now in the "race to nowhere" district.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback!

p.s. we got the scores b/c I e-mailed Duke TIP--they e-mailed me a copy of them. I called ACT and they are sending a hard copy of the report.

D
    D
    Deacongirl, I hope it goes well!

DeeDee

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Deacongirl, I hope it goes well!

DeeDee

Thanks DeeDee! I hope so too!

Page 2 of 2 1 2