Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #127220 04/10/12 05:35 PM
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Ok I'm trying to decipher my DS6's test scores because I feel like there's something there I'm not knowledgeable enough to see. He's only been labeled "gifted" since November and I've been scrambling to educate myself on how best to help him. If anyone has any insight or direction I would greatly appreciate your input. Not looking for a diagnosis but more a direction. He's got some fairly challenging social skills issues. We have his 1st grade IEP in 2 weeks and since I'm a single parent (father lives out of state) its just me and everyone else who seem to know the lingo so much better than me!

So here goes:

WPPSI-III

Verbal 141
    Performance 133
    Full Scale 142

Subtests
    Verbal
    Information 16
    Vocabulary 17
    Word Reasoning 17
    Performance
    Block Design 13
    Matrix Reasoning 17
    Picture Concepts 16
    Processing Speed
    Coding 16

SB-5

Non Verbal 137
    Verbal 136
    Full Scale 138

Factor Index Scores
    Fluid Reasoning 144
    Knowledge 128
    Quantitative Reasoning 122
    Visual Reasoning 140
    Working Memory 132

The SB-5 was given by a psychologist who thought DS6 was "potentially an exceptionally gifted student" but saw signs of a "cognitive processing disorder". The psychologist said that DS had trouble focusing on what the main issue was when given a picture where something was missing. For example if DS was shown a drawing of part of a bathroom where the tub was missing a drain DS pointed out that it wasn't a complete drawing of the bathroom because all the walls weren't drawn.

I've gotten such good info when I've posted I figured I'd just ask what may seem like a dumb question. Again any time taken to respond is greatly appreciated.

B
    B
    Your child is a bit young for cognitive testing to be definitive. You may find that if you test a few years into the future, the scores may be higher.

For better or worse, part of this may be because your son will have learned to filter his divergent and creative thinking in order to give adults the kind of answers they are looking for. {sigh} There is some value in that, but it is a bit sad.

Y
    Y
    not directly relevant to your question, but our family also same in that we live in 2different states. wife says DD progress is hampered by a grade because of that. being a single parent it is hard to keep up with gifted kids.

C
    C
    That's exactly what my dd11 did with that same subtest. She gave answers, for example, that involved grafting together dissimilar species of trees and how that wasn't possible (one of the pics had a tree and she felt that the leaves didn't match the trunk and therefore indicated a tree graft which wouldn't be possible w/ the types of trees used in her estimation). The "correct" answers were much more obvious, at least to the typical person.

My dd is a 6th grader now. She has other issues (inattentive type ADD), but we have found that her divergent way of looking at things has been a real challenge in school. She's highly gifted in many ways (including IQ), but she is a very inconsistent performer in school and doesn't perform up to her potential. She is still a very good student (started a bit early and is subject accelerating in math), but I've always felt that it is more work for her than it should be.

One thing that seems to have helped her when dealing with divergence is to have her think about what techniques, formulas, approaches, etc. she has been explicitly taught in school. What have they asked you to do earlier in this chapter, on worksheets for this same material, etc.? If the technique she is using now doesn't align with something that they have used before, I've told her that it is unlikely to be what they want her to do now (at least at this juncture in her education).

As she gets into higher level math and not just pre-Algebra, Algebra I, etc., I may revisit with her the capacity to use a completely different approach than that which she's been taught, but for now there has been a lot more direct teaching of how to color inside the lines so she doesn't get penalized for her creative, divergent approaches.

Like the pp mentioned, it is somewhat sad, though.

I'm not sure what 'cognitive processing disorder' means -

Here are something I found on Google
    http://www.ldinfo.com/cpi1.htm

But apparently this is far from a 'standard phrase' and I'd encourage you to ask the Psychologist to give 'more details' and suggest ways that this can be remediated or possible work arounds.

As far as the IEP goes, remember that you don't have to sign anythign at the meeting. For me it went better if DH and I made a pact that we weren't going to sign anything in 'real time' and that we'd give it at least a week to sink in before we signed anything.

It's hard that your child's father is out of state. Is there anyone else (Friend, cousin, clergy) who would be willing to put on 'dress up clothes' and come with you? Just having a neutral person there can be very very helpful in keeping you in 'listening mode.'

You child is indeed gifted. It sounds like exceptionally gifted is a good descriptor. Is there more to the story? It's so hard to know. Time will probably be only way to get more answers. While you wait, it's ok to ask us about the social skills problems, and try to get the educational environment to fit as well as possible.

It's hard to just go day by day with a kid with a 'big giant head, and a tiny little neck' but in the long run, that's really our only choice.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    U
    U
    I also have a creative child who tanked the "What's missing?" subtest on a different test. I don't know why she did, because I was given no further information beyond the score, but it seems like it may be a subtest that doesn't work well for divergent thinkers?

B
    B
    Cognitive processing disorder is language that they use in Special Education evaluations. My functional definition--as a teacher--is that it's a way to qualify a student for IDEA under Specific Learning Disability when the discrepancy isn't between the cognitive scores and the academic achievement scores, but within the cognitive assessment results. I rely on the school psych's expertise on this and many other issues.

If I were a wicked parent--and I would be, if I had children--I would ask the school to assess the student for creative and divergent thinking as part of a qualifying evaluation for a gifted program. I know from reading the websites of the University of Georgia and Torrance Center for Creativity that such assessments exist, but I suspect there are few people qualified to give them!

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Divergent thinker is a very good description of DS! Thankfully his scores have qualified him for the local full day gifted program. And Cricket2 I've also had to try and help him understand some of the worksheets he comes home with. The obvious simple answer isn't always what he sees. Like when the answer for a descriptive word for a picture ending in "G" is bug but he's confused because clearly its a spider or arachnid and "bug" doesn't even occur to him.

All of your answers have given me great ideas to follow up on. I will say I'm extremely lucky to be in such a wonderful school district. The gifted program director, his principal, his regular and special school district teachers and the school psychologist have been amazing. Not only do they call & email me regularly they all communicate to figure out what strategies are working for DS.

I really don't have anyone to take with me to the IEP unfortunately but finding resources like this forum have given me a lot more confidence in what I need to do as a parent.

Thank you ALL for your help.

R
    R
    Originally Posted by irishmaggie
    The obvious simple answer isn't always what he sees. Like when the answer for a descriptive word for a picture ending in "G" is bug but he's confused because clearly its a spider or arachnid and "bug" doesn't even occur to him.

Things like this always bothered me in school too. The problem isn't necessarily divergent thinking. Your son is right here not the school. A bug is an insect and a spider is not. They are not the same. I found many assignments in elementary school to be imprecise to the point of being inaccurate. Just something to consider when he has problems... it might not only be divergent thinking.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years