Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    DD7 has been to 12 countries and although she doesn't remember all of it, she does remember. And a year spent somewhere at 6 will definitely leave an imprint.

On schools, I flew to Toronto to look at a school that I thought would work for DD when we move in 15 months. Academically, it would work, but after visiting, I realized she would be miserable. I sat down, the staff got my needs for my gifted daughter but just socially, she would hate it.

Finding the right fit intellectually may mean other issues. Good luck. And I would look for the experience first, then the school, considering it is only a year. Your child may get a lot of out of other things, like museums, concerts, etc. In NYC, you have exposure you can get young people's concerts at both Jazz at Lincoln Center and the Philharmonic. Art classes at both Moma and the Met. You have the zoos and aquarium, the Science centers and the Museum of Natural History. But getting a good school fit...without paying for a gifted private, is hard.

B
    B
    Just a note about meeting other gifties...the educational thing is one issue, but meeting other kids he can bond with is sort of separate. When my DD was that age I was more motivated to try to specifically go to activities for gifted kids (through the state association) and even once went to a higher-IQ thing, but they weren't that successful really. What I've found that works best is to just find interesting things to do (I really love museum classes and things at historic sites or nature centers) and just set DD loose. She almost always finds some other kid to talk to about science, mythology, whatever is going. I've found she's more likely to bond with kids who have been raised more like her, to think for themselves, that have more exposure to life outside the "mainstream" as it were, and who are likely to not take everything overly seriously, just have fun with learning (but that's her personality). It's nice for them to find a BFF but sometimes just having a bit of fun, having an adult instructor who has a love of that subject, and enjoying a great conversation with a peer is a super boost for them, just like adults.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Try the Pacific NW! There are many options in public and private education and the outdoor opportunities are great.

J
    J
    I'd homeschool for the year and explore wherever we were. US - I'd definitely spend the year in Hawaii, either the Big Island or Kauai. It's such an amazing, beautiful, culturally-rich environment with so much to explore in nature.

If I could go anywhere in the world, we'd spend time in London or Tuscany. DH and I are both adjuncts (DH works full-time as well) and we've often dreamed of packing up the kids and the dog for a year and living abroad. Or perhaps just for a summer. I'd also love to teach at the Semester at Sea and travel the world with the family.

For us, we live in New England so zipping to NY or Boston for the day is very easy, and I lived in NY for years. In my old job I had the chance to live in a lot of different cities, so I guess that's why my preference for something a bit different.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM