Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 132 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #126856 04/04/12 07:14 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    My DD was tested by a private Educational Psychologist. She sat WIAT-III immediately followed by WISC-IV

I have seen a lot of analysis of WISC but limited of WIAT-III.

The way I read her scores, they are pretty strong and she should be a high performer.

She is very bright and has an exceptional ability to just "get" skills, issues and answers when put to her (whether english, maths, social, science, music, dance etc)

But she does not exhibit any of the classic signs of a real passion for learning or knowledge, unusual hobbies etc.
    - she likes playing with friends and preening in front of a mirror.

She will start up an academic of philosophical discussion with my husband or I when she wants our attention (she knows it always works) but otherwise seems pretty much like every other child.

At school I'm not sure it would even be that evident how able she is (she always comes top and generally gets 100%, but she does not have to work hard to acheive that)

We don't seem to have the same level of gifted support and focus in the UK and I am not sure who to discuss this with. (School don't see there is an issue)

Can you help me

a) understand if there is anything in the WIAT or WISC scores that would help me understand this

b) your opinion as to whether you would try and encourage her to push herself harder - I can't decide if what matters is she is happy and rounded, or if she does not stretch herself now she may regret it in later life?

c) I have added the recomendations from the Psychologist - these make little sense to me and read as if she has problems. She seems to be happy at school still and I wonder if the points re targeting concentration/listening etc. are based on her observations on the day of testing (which took more than 3 hours non stop so Im not suprised she was fidgety at times) - should I be worried?

d) anyone in a similar situation?

Thanks

Gemma

WISC-IV

Verbal Comprehension (VCI) 144 (99.8 percentile)
    Perceptual Reasoning (PRI) 145 (99.9 percentile)
    Working Memory (WMI) 141 (99.7 percentile)
    Processing Speed (PSI)138 (99 percentile)
    Full Scale (FSIQ) 153 (>99.9 percentile)

RAW Scaled Extended
    SI 27 19 19
    VC 34 15 15
    CO 26 18 18

BD 30 14 14
    PCn 23 19 20
    MR 28 19 23

DS 20 18 18
    LN 20 16 18

CD 65 19 19
    SS 38 15 15
    CA

Total 172 179
    GAI Total 104 109

GAI 155 161
    FSIQ 153 158

(I don't understand why her LN score changes on the extended norms scale if it was not topped out on the standard?)

WIAT-III (at age 6 years 10 months)

SUBTESTS RAW STD AGE EQU
    Word Reading 103 126 10:00
    Reading Comprehension 140** 125 12:00
    Pseudoword Decoding 41 118 11:00
    Numerical Operations 18 134 08:08
    Mathematical Reasoning 44 143 09:04
    Spelling 29 126 09:00

Recomendations from Psychologist:-

• Bethany demonstrated significant strength in all areas of her cognitive abilities, which suggests
    that she may be an ‘all rounder’, capable of achieving high standards in all or most activities in
    which she engages. Her strengths should be skilfully used to bring about greater confidence in
    any areas in which she may not be very confident. School staff may, for example, use praise to
    highlight when she demonstrates good problem solving skills when reasoning with words, or
    nonverbally with pictures and patterns, so that she may transfer these skills over into, for example,
    social problem solving.

However, Bethany’s concentration and listening skills should be targeted for further development.
    These need to be addressed sensitively to ensure that her self-confidence and self-esteem are not
    affected. Activities should be linked to targets on her Individual Education Plan (IEP). Bethany’s
    class teacher may find the book ‘Some Well-Known Tales’ – A Listening Activity for Young
    Children’ (Philip & Tacey) to be helpful. Other useful texts are ‘The Thinking Child’ – Brainbased
    learning for the foundation stage by Nicola Call, and also ‘The Thinking Child Resource
    Book’ also by Nicola Call (Publishers – Network Educational Press Ltd).

• Her good visual perceptual skills may be further developed and fostered by frequent opportunities
    to engage in jigsaw/inset puzzles, matching activities, word searches, ‘spot the difference’
    pictures and ‘Find Wally’ type activities.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks for your response.

She doesn't have an 'IEP' - I don't even know what one is. I have tried leaving messages for the psychologist but she does not get back to me.

THe point about it being erroneous could be right. The pyschaitrist did say she had never seen scores so high - I kind of got the impression more people went to her for getting evidence to request support for low abilities.

My DD is very committed to Irish dancing although she is not practicing quite as much as she was, and competes at the highest level. She likes all sorts of performing arts activities, but nothing remotely academic.

BethanysMaid,
    How old is your DD? She sure is gifted, and it's pretty much a given that she's never been in a school type setting that she has needed to give more than 1/10 of an effort to excel in.

Girls tend to be good enough at 'reading people' to know that they aren't supposed to be 'that smart' but the downside of this sensitivity is that they can start to convinse themselves that they are what they pretend to be.

My son, now 15, was uninterested in Math until he finally got into a small group setting that could finally move as fast and as deep as he needed to go. Even with a gradeskip. Even with being in an honor's Math program that was 'one year ahead' of the customary math program. We just got lucky. Now he loves it and has changed his career plans from Humanities to STEM.

So, a great summer program, a saturday enrichment club, a tutor/mentor, homeschooling at her level, a grade skip might all be part of what is needed to give her a new 'wallpaper' to fade into - a wallpaper that nurtures her need to 'work for learning.' It's also possible that she just like performing arts more than academic, but given the biological and social forces on females, I wouldn't believe it until I see it.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    What I would assume from his comments is that he probably had to repeat instructions, or get her back on task during the test more than once... she must have appeared inattentive to him.. and with those scores, I'm not hugely surprised. She probably found the testing easy. If he's not particularly experienced with gifted children I'd probably just ignore that pat of the report, personally.

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM