Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #126831 04/03/12 05:27 PM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi
    So DS 6 had OT testing and WISC regarding is writing issues, potential for dislexia and dysgraphia. We don't have the results but an IEP meeting has been scheduled. Lots of people we have never met will be there. How do we approach this? What questions do we need to ask and have answered? Should we ask for the reports before the meeting? Any suggestions?

DH and I go back and forth all the time about is writing issues, he clearly has some, but there is also a huge componenent of " I am not interested so I won't try" or doing it bizarrely to make it interesting to himself. I have spent enough time here to know not to say the "b" word, and I dont know he is bored, he actually doesn't use that word, but he isn't challenged and he knows that, he says everything is predictable. Do I keep this stuff to myself or share it, or how to share? And I am concerned the school psych is doing the, well he is smart, above grade level in a gifted environment so even if he has something we can't find it or deal with it, the little interaction we had he gave a vibe of a non 2e believer but I don't know that to be true.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I strangely feel intimidated and belligerent at the same time.

DeHe

DeHe #126833 04/03/12 06:01 PM
    D
    D
    Hi, DeHe.

First we need to clarify what kind of meeting this is: Normally after the school gets test results they do a meeting to go over the test results and determine educational *needs* first. (They are legally required to do the testing, though they often accept the results of testing from outside in addition to their own evaluation.) In our district this first meeting is called an ETR, but your mileage will vary. Then-- normally at a second meeting-- they take the needs established at the first meeting and develop an IEP. You should first make sure you understand what is on the docket for this coming meeting, so you will know what to expect; it's OK to ask this directly of the person who scheduled the meeting.

(If he already has an IEP, the ETR is done only every three years unless needs change conspicuously.)

If this is the post-testing meeting, where needs are determined, you want to go in with a list of everything your DS has trouble with, and make sure all significant items get into the testing report. Even if you don't want services for each item now, make sure they are noted, because if next year you want services for them, it saves a lot of trouble if they are written in the report. You cannot get services or supports for anything that is not noted in the testing report, so it is very important to make sure all your concerns are represented.

It is permissible to ask them for test results for you to review in advance. I have never succeeded in getting them before the meeting, but you can ask.

Do you have outside testing to bring to bear on the problem? If so, sources vary about whether it is right to produce them right away, or let the school come to their conclusions first; unless it is an utterly hostile situation, I usually offer results to the school, because it makes the school's information more complete and moves the process faster.

If you suspect they will not be thorough or understand the 2E situation, or you see that directly in the meeting, you might consider outside testing with someone who understands 2E. You do not have to sign anything you disagree with; if you disagree with the outcome of their testing, don't sign the form, tell them how it looks to you so they understand why you are dissenting, and ask for a new meeting after you've had time to pursue outside testing. (They may ask you to sign a piece of paper that says you were there at the meeting but dissent from their findings. That's OK.)

Don't say "2E" in the meeting; avoid jargon of this kind if you can. That term is popular here, but not widely used in the world of public schools.

It is possible, if you disagree with their results, to get a school district to pay for an independent educational evaluation; but it is slow and expensive. We have always just used our own resources. The details on that process are in the book From Emotions to Advocacy, I believe.

If they fail to see the giftedness adequately, or you doubt their results on the testing for disabilities, you definitely need outside testing/ assessment to help you make your case.

If you think they describe your DS pretty well (you will have a gut feeling about this), you can accept their findings and/or make additional comments-- you are a full member of the team and can make observations about typical behavior for your child, or note details of the writing problems, what kinds of assignments he finds it difficult to start, etc.

If this is some kind of post-testing AND IEP meeting combined-- well, that will be a long one. At an IEP meeting you take each identified need (identified in the testing report) and figure out what benchmarks for progress would look like (IEP goals), and how the school will move him toward those benchmarks (services and supports). Can be accommodations, or direct services, or consultation with professionals who are not the teacher, or any combination of those. Here you are looking for specificity in the goals (are they isolatable and observable/ can someone take data to ensure that the benchmark is met?). As well as reasonableness: if they are making a goal that requires a big leap for your DS, how do they plan to support that, and what are the steps that get him there?

Parents tend to jump right to the services in their thinking (what will you do to help my child) when they really need to follow the school's process (needs-- goals-- services). Knowing what's happening helps you make sure nothing gets skipped in the eventual outcome.

If it's a gifted school, do they do GIEPs? At our school children get a gifted ed plan, but it's not technically part of the IEP. However, school folks have definitely found it necessary to address giftedness during IEP meetings because his educational needs are determined by both his giftedness and his disability.

Sorry that was long. I clearly have done too much of this.

DeeDee

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DeeDee
    Wow! Thanks for being so detailed - it really helps me get a picture of the process.

I think we are having a post testing IEP combo, at least that's how it seems to be presented. It sounds to me like this a meeting to discuss services and needs, we were already informally told the OT who did the testing recommends some OT services (we did testing in the school). I'm not sure about goals, but it seems like that would have to be in there! I don't think there is a GIEP but I don't know.

I think I will ask for both reports, you're probably right that we won't get them but worth a shot!

DeHe

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM