Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #126665 03/31/12 08:03 PM
    mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So dd4 will begin K next year. Does anyone have any idea what percentage of K-ers are reading/doing math at 1st grade level? 2nd grade level? Etc? I would guess there are some kids that do above grade level work, just not sure what percentage. I know they do some ability grouping at this school but I am not sure that will be enough.

I just saw the "what your child should be able to do by the end of the year" list and I am having a bit of a panic. In the literacy objectives the word reading was always written in quotation marks "reading" a book - that can't be good.

D
    D
    Here every child is supposed to be able to read the first 20 Dolch sight words by the *end* of Kindergarten.

Many of them can do a lot more, but that's the standard...

DeeDee

B
    B
    Ours also had to be able to count to 100... That was the only math requirement

mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DeeDee- I would also think that many can do a lot more... Any idea about the breakdown? I would guess that a fair number of kids go into K already reading- I'm trying to get an idea as to where my kid might fit in the scheme of things.....

P
    P
    Have you considered taking a school tour and asking what the breakdown is at the school your dd will be attending? If you're in an area that has charter schools etc, you may find that the end-of-K reading level expectations are different at different schools. Another thing you might could try is googling DRA level by grade or something like that - our kids' elementary school had a scale that related DRA level to grade level (beginning and end of year).

I also would try not to get too worried about reading level at this point - there probably are going to be kids on a huge spectrum of reading skills going into K with your dd. I'd be more interested in learning about the full day - what's taught, how it's taught etc. Reading groups and math lessons were only a very small part of the day at our kids' elementary in K-2 - the larger part of their curriculum was spent in project (group) work, writing, and going back and forth between never-ending pullouts smile

polarbear

F
    F
    I have a current kinder son. There are 20 kids in the classroom, 6 girls and 14 boys. There are 2 kids reading way beyond (guided reading level m) 2 kids reading beyond (guided reading level j) and the rest at at or below kinder standards. In math there is one child way beyond (3-4th grade level math- completing Singapore 3A) one above grade level (1st maybe 2nd grade level) and the rest at grade level.

hope this kind of answers your question

G
    G
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    I have a current kinder son. There are 20 kids in the classroom, 6 girls and 14 boys. There are 2 kids reading way beyond (guided reading level m) 2 kids reading beyond (guided reading level j) and the rest at at or below kinder standards. In math there is one child way beyond (3-4th grade level math- completing Singapore 3A) one above grade level (1st maybe 2nd grade level) and the rest at grade level.

My son's class is probably similar, but I don't know, because the class is kept on the same math curriculum, and they top out at DRA 16 for instruction. There were 3 kids in the 16+ group for the 3rd quarter of the school year. I suspect at least two were comfortably above that, but it's hard to distinguish 20 vs 30 reading level when the child is reading you at level 16 book...

If you asked other parents of kids in the room, they wouldn't tell you there was one kid operating at a 3-6 grade level in math, because I keep that to myself. There's one mom that doesn't keep her afterschooling to herself, so I know that child can multiply and divide. I have no idea at what level the girl understands what she can do. I'm not questioning the mom's reporting. I simply don't know.

I also suspect that the school doesn't know. They don't test reading or math conceptual understanding beyond one grade level above the current. They don't test math computation beyond the present grade level. (they know on DS because they've done individual testing, but this is a 1 kind every few years case.)

Last edited by geofizz; 04/01/12 05:59 AM. Reason: clarity
    G
    G
    This will also vary wildly by neighborhood and region. Local culture, age of incoming kids, type of preschool education, and parent involvement matter a lot. Our district has an end of K target, DRA8, is evidently twice the state target for reading.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by mom123
    I would guess that a fair number of kids go into K already reading- I'm trying to get an idea as to where my kid might fit in the scheme of things.....

In my DS5's class, I'd say more than half the kids have trouble sounding out words, even words they've been primed on, but perhaps four or five among the other half can make it through a beginner book on their own. Anything past a beginner/picture book seems like outlier territory. (Sorry, I've never bothered to study the reading level system...)

Like Geo, I'm finding it hard to say; because of my DS's strong reading skills and the fact that he spends as many hours reading as we let him, he has been exempted from the "we're sending a book home with your child" program, and I suspect what we're getting is pretty custom-fit.

In Math, our district has started adopting Common Core Math for the kindergartners. What DS5 is getting for math in kindy is way above what DS9 got four years ago. They did a lot of counting by ones, twos, fives, tens, but now they are working on single-digit addition. I don't know exactly what the benchmark is for what they are supposed to master this year, but I would bet some kids are still struggling with the counting and a few are above benchmark.

There is just a huge range in kindergarten. I don't think what the other kids can do is a primary concern for me; I did let the teachers know at the start of the year what my DS5 could do that I knew was out of the norm, and I asked them to be watchful about book selection. There was a pullout reading group with the librarian that DS loved (it got him out of the phonics instruction). It has worked nicely for the most part.

Does that help?
    DeeDee

F
    F
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom

My son's class is probably similar, but I don't know, because the class is kept on the same math curriculum, and they top out at DRA 16 for instruction. There were 3 kids in the 16+ group for the 3rd quarter of the school year. I suspect at least two were comfortably above that, but it's hard to distinguish 20 vs 30 reading level when the child is reading you at level 16 book...

If you asked other parents of kids in the room, they wouldn't tell you there was one kid operating at a 3-6 grade level in math, because I keep that to myself. There's one mom that doesn't keep her afterschooling to herself, so I know that child can multiply and divide. I have no idea at what level the girl understands what she can do. I'm not questioning the mom's reporting. I simply don't know.

I also suspect that the school doesn't know. They don't test reading or math conceptual understanding beyond one grade level above the current. They don't test math computation beyond the present grade level. (they know on DS because they've done individual testing, but this is a 1 kind every few years case.)

I only know the levels because my kid is the high math kid. They are now doing guided math as well. At the beginning if the year, his teachr was asked if there was anyone he can be grouped with and she laughed at him. No one is anywhere close. The girl that is in his group, is the sister of a boy in my dd8's second grade class. I am friends with the mom smile . If we take ds math and her dd reading, we have a fourth grader. If we take ds reading and her math, we have a second grader smile That is our joke lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM