Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    FWIW, the when you see the results in a talent search these top 5 or 10% of kids do spread out again on a whole new bell curve. I'm guessing their IQ's would also spread on another bell curve. I have 3 DC and although each is GT. They each have very different levels of personal drive and thirst for learning. My oldest DS doesn't care less about learning on his own. He is happy with status quo on everything. He is GT but never could have achieved the Explores scores. My younger Ds has been a self drive information hoarder since he was born. He has Explore scores to qualify for DYS before a major overhaul to his school placements. It's not what school has done for him that go him those scores it's what he has done for himself. The topics vary over time but when he indulges an interest it is a 24/7 thing for him. My DD is fairly young and seems hide her abilities and learnings things behind your back. I have know idea if she will be a good fit. I don't have a good yard stick to measure her with anyway. The IQ tells you a capacity of a child and Achievement tells you what the already know, but some GT kids don't have the exposure at school and don't independently crave non-stop info.

We didn't test him for specifically for DA or DYS at the time. He always hit the ceilings on his grade level Cogat, IBST, & State proficiency test. We tested to better understand him. He did hit the ceilings with Explore at age 11. I doubt his score would have been much lower 4 months earlier at 10. I guess however he would have scored I was only looking for a better understanding of him. I was shocked by his scores. So shocked I didn't apply for DYS. I waited and gave him an ACT this year at 12 to make sure it was "REAL". I'm only now submitting his application for DYS. He doesn't even realize what I'm doing at this point. I took him for his WISC-IV. I told him he couldn't know the score until he was an adult, but it would be useful for us as his parents and the school to guide his educational track. He whined a bit over not knowing the score, but understands my reasoning.

A 4th grader doesn't need a 23 or 24 to qualify for DYS. For DYS a 4th grader needs 2 scores plus the composite of the following English 19, Math 16, Reading 18, Science 18, and a composite of 17. They also need an IQ of 145+ in FSIQ, VCI, PRI, or GAI.

For DA they do state "Any student who is performing at an advanced middle school grade level or above, meets the Qualification Criteria and is under the age of 18 can apply to The Davidson Academy. It is strongly recommended that applicants have, at minimum, 6th grade in progress at the time of application. Qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the academic readiness assessment portion of the application process, which includes the students spending a day at the Academy to determine a final admission decision. Please note that our curriculum is accelerated by approximately three standard grade levels. "

They do need at least 3 scores at 24 with a composite of 23 and the qualifying IQ for younger applicants. Which would fall inline with a high achieving middle school level.

IMHO, Davidson is looking for high capacity and a certain level of drive or thirst for knowledge. I have a DS like that and another DS that just doesn't have the thirst and third DD that is a total mystery to me. There are kids that can score that high even at 9 or 10.

Jtooit

D
    D
    They appeared in the toolbox this morning.

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 03/31/12 05:49 AM. Reason: specificity
    M
    M
    I'm so happy - we are currently trying to work out math for our ds10 (4th grade) next year. He's been taking 5th grade accelerated, and next year will likely go to the MS, for either accelerated for a year with 6th graders (then gifted the following year with his own class) or gifted with the 6th graders (another skip).
    I know they don't like skips, although he'd still be taking Algebra in 6th grade, nothing crazy or radical. Anyway, he scored a 25 on his EXPLORE math! That should definitely help our case, although we will also have to use the district's scores on the IAAT/DAT (we don't have those yet). However, I imagine a 25 on the math section will make them take notice. His other scores weren't as good - not sure if he'll make the awards ceremony (Reading and English 19, Science 22)but I'm not surprised. He's more sporty and outdoorsy than "sit and read" like his brother. I think reading really helps those other scores.
    Anyway, happy to see them in our toolbox this morning!

A
    A
    OMG. DD8, whom I'd expected to do respectably but not remarkably, made the DYS cuts for grade in 2 subjects, and missed the composite by one point. Compared to 3rd graders (agemates), she made the cuts in 3 subjects + composite.

Not only that, but her lowest score by far was in English, which I'd anticipated would be one of the highest. However, now that I look at my test-day notes, I see that she left 30% of the items completely blank. D'oh!

Last edited by AlexsMom; 03/31/12 08:06 AM. Reason: add info
    D
    D
    How do the awards ceremonies work, and when do they notify qualifying children?

DS9's scores are far higher than I expected; I'm still processing my shock and awe.

This will only make the planning more difficult, and raises more questions than it answers, but it sure is interesting.

DeeDee

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by MidwestDad
    I'm so happy - we are currently trying to work out math for our ds10 (4th grade) next year. He's been taking 5th grade accelerated, and next year will likely go to the MS, for either accelerated for a year with 6th graders (then gifted the following year with his own class) or gifted with the 6th graders (another skip).
    I know they don't like skips, although he'd still be taking Algebra in 6th grade, nothing crazy or radical. Anyway, he scored a 25 on his EXPLORE math! That should definitely help our case, although we will also have to use the district's scores on the IAAT/DAT (we don't have those yet). However, I imagine a 25 on the math section will make them take notice. His other scores weren't as good - not sure if he'll make the awards ceremony (Reading and English 19, Science 22)but I'm not surprised. He's more sporty and outdoorsy than "sit and read" like his brother. I think reading really helps those other scores.
    Anyway, happy to see them in our toolbox this morning!
    Which ceremony? Northwestern or your own state?

M
    M

I didn't even know that there were other ceremonies besides NW. We live about an hour, maybe a bit more, from NW, so I would assume that one if he makes it. After I posted previously, I looked at the prior score cutoffs and it looks like he might make it. I had vaguely remembered that you needed "in the 20s" - which he didn't have in reading and english, but it seems that his high math score might offset the other scores. Either way, I won't say anything until we know for sure.

M
    M
    this is so exciting. I can hardly wait to get the scores. its our first time. SO - does that mean that if you score really high you would get a separate notification of just how high the scores were? as in, it does not comme to you WITH the results?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by momtofour

I didn't even know that there were other ceremonies besides NW. We live about an hour, maybe a bit more, from NW, so I would assume that one if he makes it. After I posted previously, I looked at the prior score cutoffs and it looks like he might make it. I had vaguely remembered that you needed "in the 20s" - which he didn't have in reading and english, but it seems that his high math score might offset the other scores. Either way, I won't say anything until we know for sure.

In addition to the NUMATS award ceremony sponsored by CTD, award ceremonies may be held for the highest scorers in some states. This information will be posted as it is made available. The table below shows state award ceremony information for 2011.

State Date
    Illinois August 27, 2011
    Indiana May 9, 2011
    Michigan May 14, 2011
    Minnesota May 7, 2011
    Wisconsin May 7, 2011

M
    M
    this is so exciting. I can hardly wait to get the scores. its our first time. SO - does that mean that if you score really high you would get a separate notification of just how high the scores were? as in, it does not comme to you WITH the results?

This is our first time using the NUMATS toolbox (not sure if they had this last year; we didn't do it). The NUMATS toolbox had the scores compared to other 4th graders in NUMATS (for us, since ds is in 4th). The paper scores from ACT came today - they had his scores compared to the nationally-normed 8th graders. It's funny - when you open the toolbox, the actual scores/results are to the right. I was looking in the middle, where it has some fairly generic "long range academic plans." I knew that the scores were in the toolbox, because someone on the board mentioned it, but I was going through all this extraneous info trying to find the numbers!
    As to your question about "if you score really high," I don't think that you get anything different except perhaps an invite to the awards ceremony later.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM