Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #126508 03/29/12 02:28 PM
    D
    DanaLyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    We've just had testing done. I've done some searching on the forums but haven't seen an answer (or I overlooked it), but does anyone know if they often ask for more information or reject applications if you meet the testing requirements for both IQ and Achievement tests? Or does meeting minimums for both generally mean you're in?

Curious about how much to stress about answers to the questions on the application.

Thanks!

DanaLyn #126522 03/29/12 04:34 PM
    I can just relate my personal experience. We just submitted qualifying scores for our DS, and he got into the program without anything further. I would guess that unless there's something unusual, qualifying scores mean you're in. But they will ask for more if they want more. I would suggest sending in what you've got.

ETA - Do your best to answer the questions, but don't stress too much. If I remember, there were a lot of questions about early milestones, and I'm sure not everyone can remember that stuff.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/29/12 04:35 PM.
    Sorry to hijack slightly DanaLyn,

SPG - does this mean you didn't submit the letter of rec? I am wondering about that for DS 6, his preschool director recognized his gifts but it seems crazy to go back to him at this age and with most others, he doesn't show everything. K teacher was blown away by one comment he made and even put it on his report card but she seems more focused on his not so superior skills and migth not consider him profoundly gifted regardless of his scores.

DeHe

DeHe #126561 03/30/12 08:11 AM
    DeHe - We did submit the letter of recommendation. Maybe I misinterpreted the question. We didn't submit a portfolio, but submitted everything else in the application. We applied when our son was 5 and the preschool teacher wrote a recommendation. She was the first one to really recognize his differences, and she was happy to do it. If you have the scores, I'm guessing the recs won't mean quite so much, especially in the youngest applicants who haven't really done much of anything yet.

DanaLyn #126563 03/30/12 08:21 AM
    DeHe I get that it seems crazy to go back so far but. It is quite normal for PG kids to go underground. That is the reason they need DYS.

DanaLyn fill everything out as quickly as you can. Don't stress out. Many of us have very distorted views of what is good enough. If they need more they will as for it. The staff isn't PG but they have tons of expertise. They will recognise the puzzle. Do it. Do it. Do it.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #126566 03/30/12 08:27 AM
    I should add that you can guide the people writing recommendations a bit, by asking them to write about certain things they've told you in the past that might slip their minds. E.g., if the teacher at some point told you "wow, your DS did this most amazing thing and i've never seen kids this age do that." Or "you won't believe what your DD said about this." Refresh their memories! You can also ask them to try to write about anything showing that your kiddo is 2+ years ahead of their agemates.

Thanks SPG and Grinity!

DS is in a gifted school so I'm wondering if we are going to get the "we see kids like this all the time" because he is so slowly unfurling as he gets more comfortable. But then I might also be underestimating them. Pre school director was a bizarre individual but had been in gifted Ed and told us how rare DS was,so maybe he would be the best bet.

SPG - I like the leading aspect!

DeHe

DanaLyn #126586 03/30/12 10:54 AM
    T
    T
    We just subitted the test qualifying scores and recommendation letter plus the application and weren't asked for more. I sat down one night and wrote in all that I could remember and decided to stop analyzing everything I wrote then sent it off.
    I wouldn't stress about the questions, just answer them honestly and to the best of what you can remember, or that you observe of your child.

DanaLyn #126636 03/31/12 07:26 AM
    D
    DanaLyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks all!

(I typed and thought I posted a reply yesterday, but it's apparently vanished.)

Grinity, I am working on the application now and it will get sent in next month. I'm not going to delay smile

We'll be getting the formal WISC results next Friday, but I was told his verbal score qualifies. Tester said she enjoyed giving him the test and thought his answers were a bit too creative for the test in some parts, so that's interesting. I'm very curious to get the full report.

I just wanted to be sure that it's not likely that my answers on the application would tank his acceptance. I'm feeling much better this morning about it as well since apparently I'd misremembered his composite on the Explore and it's not just at minimum.

This is just all a bit surprising to us. My husband still thinks testing results are wrong and our son is just bright and a good test-taker. He's an only child and we homeschool, so we don't see much in comparison to other kids his age. We're not using materials that're out-of-level, but we do discuss things in a bit of depth.

DanaLyn #126708 04/01/12 06:25 PM
    Good luck DeHe...Preschool director would be just fine.

It might be educational to talk to the current school and say, 'We are applying to a program for gifted kids in the top third of a regularly gifted group - do you feel you could write a strong recommendation for our child, given how shy he is?

Just to know what they are seeing. But I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years