Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Two days ago I had a very generally positive meeting about accommodation planning for dysgraphic/ADHD DS11's 6th grade year. I met with the academic dean at DS' small private K-12. 6th grade at the school is notoriously hard with a heavy writing component and we were brainstorming how we might combine tutoring and some online work this summer to make sure DS is ready by fall.

In the context of this conversation the dean told me the high school did not allow note taking and written tests by computer, even though the elementary and junior high levels do. He suggested that my son would have to "learn" how to do this by hand by 9th grade.

I was thinking "Bite your tongue! Bite your tongue! Do not argue about something that is 4 years away!" I successfully held my tongue, although I know I gave him a very expressive look and sucked in my breath to do it. We had a really good meeting about our 6th grade plan (if they will but follow through).

Has anyone EVER heard of ending accommodations for dysgraphia at a certain time? It sounds like nonsense to me.

D
    D
    If it's a private school, I believe they are not required to accommodate. But it does sound entirely unrealistic. I think if it were my child, I would:

--work very hard on keyboarding skills
    --keep using the accommodations that are there, and document everything possible to show they are useful
    --look at alternatives for high school

DeeDee

I would ask to see these written policies.
    I would collect data on the usefulness of these accomodations
    I would get written documentation from a professional that dysgraphia is NOT something that disapates once a student reaches 9th grade.
    You may do well to hold your tongue now, but be ready with documentation and a potential "plan b" when the time comes!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent