Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: fwtxmom Ending accommodations by high school? - 03/29/12 10:58 AM
Two days ago I had a very generally positive meeting about accommodation planning for dysgraphic/ADHD DS11's 6th grade year. I met with the academic dean at DS' small private K-12. 6th grade at the school is notoriously hard with a heavy writing component and we were brainstorming how we might combine tutoring and some online work this summer to make sure DS is ready by fall.

In the context of this conversation the dean told me the high school did not allow note taking and written tests by computer, even though the elementary and junior high levels do. He suggested that my son would have to "learn" how to do this by hand by 9th grade.

I was thinking "Bite your tongue! Bite your tongue! Do not argue about something that is 4 years away!" I successfully held my tongue, although I know I gave him a very expressive look and sucked in my breath to do it. We had a really good meeting about our 6th grade plan (if they will but follow through).

Has anyone EVER heard of ending accommodations for dysgraphia at a certain time? It sounds like nonsense to me.

Posted By: DeeDee Re: Ending accommodations by high school? - 03/29/12 11:24 AM
If it's a private school, I believe they are not required to accommodate. But it does sound entirely unrealistic. I think if it were my child, I would:

--work very hard on keyboarding skills
--keep using the accommodations that are there, and document everything possible to show they are useful
--look at alternatives for high school

DeeDee
Posted By: Mamabear Re: Ending accommodations by high school? - 03/29/12 12:03 PM
I would ask to see these written policies.
I would collect data on the usefulness of these accomodations
I would get written documentation from a professional that dysgraphia is NOT something that disapates once a student reaches 9th grade.
You may do well to hold your tongue now, but be ready with documentation and a potential "plan b" when the time comes!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum