Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by mn28
    I didn't realize until then that you needed minimum scores to qualify for the programs.

Eligible to take EXPLORE through NUMATS = eligible for GLL Enrichment and Core Essentials (3rd-8th grade) classes. You only need EXPLORE scores for Honors & AP classes.

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/program/eligibility/

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    I'd think the Feb scores would have been processed by now too.

For NUMATS, you would be mistaken. "We don’t have scores yet for you from the testing agency. Check back with us in a while."

If it takes as long to process February as it did to process January, scores will be in the toolbox this coming Saturday 3/31.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Originally Posted by mn28
    I didn't realize until then that you needed minimum scores to qualify for the programs.

Eligible to take EXPLORE through NUMATS = eligible for GLL Enrichment and Core Essentials (3rd-8th grade) classes. You only need EXPLORE scores for Honors & AP classes.

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/program/eligibility/

Thanks for clarifying! The student guide didn't clearly state that. That's good that my daughter can take them no matter what the score. smile

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    I think you should be able to get NUMATS scores off their website. We were able to access Jan scores on the web two weeks before we received in the mail. Plus, the Jan scores have been updated about the award ceremony. So, I'd think the Feb scores would have been processed by now too.

I have checked the toolbox, but it is not there yet.

M
    M
    Keep checking the toolbox. We got our scores from Jan on a Saturday morning from the tool box. It probably took 6 weeks. It was a couple more weeks before we got them in the mail.

M
    M
    I actually called ACT today (and lol, they asked if I was in IL and said, "yeah, those are the parents that seem to call us," - ouch!). Anyway, they said that they are going out in the mail this week and early next week, as they process them. She made it sound like some were going in the mail today. So, I'm a little surprised that NUMATS doesn't have them. When I asked NUMATS, they said that they hoped to have them in the mailboxes early next week, but by that point, we may have the paper copies. And I also asked about the GLL sticker, which they agreed was misleading. Personally, I think that putting a "congratulations" sticker on their brochure is just trying to sucker in proud parents.

I plan to meet with my ds10's team this spring and they specifically wanted to see the EXPLORE scores. They seem more receptive to differentiating based on achievement scores. Ds11 took the SAT in Jan through his local school district and I've heard that those scores takes FOREVER (well, it was 1/21 and we don't have them, although I bet the school does). I hate waiting. frown

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by momtofour
    I actually called ACT today (and lol, they asked if I was in IL and said, "yeah, those are the parents that seem to call us," - ouch!). Anyway, they said that they are going out in the mail this week and early next week, as they process them. She made it sound like some were going in the mail today. So, I'm a little surprised that NUMATS doesn't have them. When I asked NUMATS, they said that they hoped to have them in the mailboxes early next week, but by that point, we may have the paper copies. And I also asked about the GLL sticker, which they agreed was misleading. Personally, I think that putting a "congratulations" sticker on their brochure is just trying to sucker in proud parents.

I plan to meet with my ds10's team this spring and they specifically wanted to see the EXPLORE scores. They seem more receptive to differentiating based on achievement scores. Ds11 took the SAT in Jan through his local school district and I've heard that those scores takes FOREVER (well, it was 1/21 and we don't have them, although I bet the school does). I hate waiting. frown

It seems that we have to be patient.

A
    A
    DS2 took the test in Jan & it took at least 6 weeks to obtain the scores from ACT. I called more than once & got the "It's almost in the mail!" answer each time. DS2 took the test thru Duke TIP & we haven't heard Boo from Duke. No idea if we will. His scores were pretty good (or so they seemed to me), but not sure what Duke even does, if anything, for those students who have high scores on the EXPLORE. DS1 never took the EXPLORE because we didn't even know it existed.

DS1 has taken both the ACT & SAT and his scores did not take as long as the EXPLORE scores.

MidwestDad, I'd be very interested to hear how you achieve differentiation for your DS based on his EXPLORE scores. I thought about sending copies of my DS's scores to school, but doubt anything would happen aside from his teachers saying, "Good job!" I'll probably send the scores for that purpose, but differentiation would not happen frown

A
    A
    Originally Posted by AtHomeMum
    MidwestDad, I'd be very interested to hear how you achieve differentiation for your DS based on his EXPLORE scores. I thought about sending copies of my DS's scores to school, but doubt anything would happen aside from his teachers saying, "Good job!" I'll probably send the scores for that purpose, but differentiation would not happen frown

Our kids' 4th grade teacher gave "you are bad parents" vibes when we even mentioned that we were considering having them take the Explore. Thus no, in our case there was no differentiation as a result of the test, despite amazingly high scores. We did sign them up for online courses through NUMATS, though, and that was a good thing.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by AtHomeMum
    In fact, it is my DD10 who took the explore exam. She took the exam last year, and missed the cutoff of NUMats ceremony by 4 points. She wanted took again to beat the cutoff. She does not really need the score to do anything, because she is already in the GT program in our school district.

Last edited by MidwestDad; 03/28/12 11:41 AM.
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM