Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
    E
    E
    DS3 loves books, and has since he was an infant. He recently taught himself to read, so now it's even more so. He likes Mr. Putter and Tabby, Oliver and Amanda Pig, Biscuit the dog, and probably a bunch more that I'm not remembering. I'm very impressed with his reading aloud, because he actually puts the emphasis in the right places. Maybe he's just imitating us reading the same books, but it's still fun to listen to him talk about Max sailing in and out of days, and across a month, and into a year when he goes where the wild things are, and it really sounds like he's telling a story.

He also likes his stuffed tiger (necessary to fall asleep), cartoons, and acting like a goof with Daddy.

OP Offline
    We went to the Aerospace museum this past week. They had a centrifuge there that had a digital display. When the hand crank was turned, the centrifuge turned and you could see the MPH & RPM, G-Force and (DS just said the "pounds" ??)

Anyway, he wants us to make him one. The Tinkertoy model based off his schematic of it just isn't the same.

Now he wants to visit Radio Shack to see if they have parts. smile

Caterpillars. It hit like a brick out of no-where.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    E
    E
    DD's passions right now are playing with her blocks, riding her balance bike, learning how to swim underwater, and reading.

She goes from playing with her blocks for a couple of hours straight --(not exaggerating. She has been playing blocks this morning for over two hours now. I have to stop her for preschool.)-- to reading a second grade level reader --(we alternated pages on a level 2.9 last night.)-- The former makes me feel so much better about he latter. She plays more than most three-year-olds, if not better. I know it.

She loves art and reading. She also loves animals.

I
    I
    So many similarities:
    --age 1 numbers and letters
    --age 2 learning to read, math, solar system, time
    --age 3 geography (state & country borders, shapes, capitals, landmarks, flags), periodic table
    --age 4 games games games (monopoly, fits, sims, logic games, parcheesi, creating own board games), drawing maps & other objects from life, building angry bird setups, swimming, anatomy, managing our days from the perspective of dates, location, time & money

OP Offline
    My son's newest interest is in metronomes.

I showed him this YouTube (
    ) and explained how they were able to tempo the vintage dancers to a more contemporary song.

He's counting out his savings so he can pay me to buy him a metronome on eBay.

Did I put bicycles on here? He zooms around on his little bike and training wheels. We've started taking trips to short bike trails like four miles and such.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Is being contrary a passion? He's certainly passionately contrary! Actually, he seems to have less obsessions than his older brother. Must be time to try and hook in a few smile

D
    D
    I'm new to this. I have three children. All of which are intelligent. My first two children began reading small simple words between two and three years old. My oldest is now 7 and finding first grade very easy. My concern is actually my youngest child. He is 30 months old. He can read and spell a lot of words. I would guess he can read at a first or second grade level. It started out with him memorizing the word, but has now progressed into sounding it out. He can easily read level 1 books. He can also spell over 100 words, and keeps learning new ones everyday. In fact he may know well over 100 words. My wife are I are surprised everyday when we ask him to spell a certain word and it turns out that he knows how. He can actually get most of my son's first grade spelling words correct. He loves letters and words. We can give him a pile of letters and he will sit and make words with them until there are not any letters left. He can also read most cursive writing. Especially if the cursive letters happen to be the ones that are similar to print. He is also teaching himself to write simple words. He actually gets very upset when he cannot physically write the word, but knows how to spell it. My concern is that he may be gifted, and I'm not sure what I should do about it. Sorry for the long post. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM