Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Thanks for the Aleks recommendation--we got the free trial and are checking it out. DD likes that it doesn't make her endlessly prove that she knows a concept. I think she is likely to be able to to learn independently from their admittedly short explanations, at least at this level. She's eager to fill up the rest of her "pie," which is about half complete in level 3 after her assessment. This would make sense, since she's halfway through a 3rd grade curriculum---I assume the numbers (eg, Level 3) pretty much match up to grades? Although I saw her skipping a problem that was dividing with remainders--is that grade 3?

P
    P
    ultramarina, we found that the Aleks curriculum lined up relatively closely with grade level, but things may vary from state to state. If you'r interested in your particular area's grade levels, you can generate a report for your dd showing what she has mastered listed against your state standards. I don't have an Aleks session open right now, but the report is (if I remember!) easy to find - I think it's under the parents login, but if not, check under the student login.

polarbear

S
    S
    LV3 should mostly match to 3rd grade curriculum for most states, but won't be a perfect match for any state, I think. It will also include 1st and 2nd grade items (since the program can be used for remedial work).

The curriculum report polarbear mentions is in Student Pie Chart right under the pie itself. You generate it by clicking on the "View your state's Mathematics Content Standards report" link under "Child's State Standards Report". You can change standards back and forth between different states (or going to common core) by going to "Edit Student Account" from the main page.

The teacher/school tools will let you swap pie items in (and out?) but I haven't found a way to do it for independent study.

Last edited by SiaSL; 03/29/12 03:49 PM.
    S
    S
    Oh, and one thing about the trial. As soon as it expired we signed up and paid for a full account. On the next day or so we got an email congratulating us for taking the trial and offering a sizable discount on the subscription cost. Unless your daughter cannot live without her daily Aleks fix by then you might want to not hurry your paying subscription if she remains interested...

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Ohhh, very good piece of advice, SiaSL! Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM