Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    DS didn't start speaking words until he was past 24 months, perhaps almost 30 months. We too were worried, especially since DD was speaking clearly at 12 months.

Our wise pediatrician told us there was absolutely nothing to worry about, and said that "when he decides to speak, they will be in full sentences". And that is precisely what happened.

So you should get things checked out, but be aware that there are some late bloomers with regard to speech.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Seaserif
    Coming in on this conversation late . . .

Definitely get hearing checked out, but a couple of reassurances are 1) I recall reading in multiple places that children who learn two languages tend to reach verbal milestones slightly later for a while. Later, they end up having stronger verbal skills than their monolingual peers, but in the beginning they start out more slowly. ASL is a second language. Sounds to me like your daughter has quite good language acquisition in one of her two languages (150 words at 15 months is waaay ahead of the curve), which suggests the brain is working just fine.

2) Case in point: A friend of mine taught her daughter signs as a baby, and she picked up lots of them -- and didn't speak much till quite late. Her mother believes she *understood* English but simply had no reason to use it because she could communicate so well in ASL.

Hope you'll let us know how it works out!

Jenny

Thanks..
    #2 is quite reassuring, actually, because experts all over the place swear up and down teaching your baby ASL will not delay speech. And for a baby learning a dozen signs, it may not. But I remember reading that bilingual thing, too, and I do think gaining a huge vocab in ASL could delay it.

She seems to gain a few new signs every day if she watches one of the DVDs... I'm wondering if I should lay off the DVDs, but that seems kind of silly, like keeping books from a kid so she doesn't learn to read.

Problem is she has so many signs now that *I* am starting to have no idea what she is talking about half the time. A lot of the signs are similar and she'll spot something across the room or in a picture and I can't figure out what she is trying to tell me. But maybe that will encourage her to start speaking more... ha.

I'll update after the test in the few days if there is anything.

Last edited by islandofapples; 03/15/12 07:03 PM.
    Mine's 17 months and sometimes she says phrases, "brush your teeth Wyatt", I remember that one lately because she used it wrong. Usually she uses her phrases right but this one she was calling a toothbrush a "brush your teeth Wyatt". Sometimes she says nice phrases like that, quite clearly. But she says them rarely. Mostly she squeaks and squawks and she does a lot of what you're describing, using only half words. She'll call a dog a og and a duck a uck and other times say them right. She'll go on a three day kick where she's using full sentences one right after the other all day long. Then it's a full month before she'll a full sentence again. She does the singing thing too, singing along to familiar songs with words she obviously doesn't know, but getting many syllables and notes in the right spot. I'm just saying that I see the talking more/talking less too. Obviously your doctor knows more than an Internet friend.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    My last was a late talker, but I attributed it to his being so much younger than his siblings and having so many interpreters that got him what he wanted with just a point, grunt, etc. He also walked late, preferring to crawl. We even got him x-rayed to make sure there were no developmental issues with the formation of his joints, etc. that prevented him from walking.

He has dysgraphia, and those was actually an early sign that I didn't recognize.

Trust your gut. If it bothers you because it doesn't fit with everything else, pursue answers.

I hope the testing went ok and she can hear just fine. I was looking into speach therapy for my son when he was that age till he turned 2. He refused to use words he wouldnt say even a word for weeks. But a week before his 2 year doctor appointment he started talking in complete and totally understandable sentences. So hopefully your daughter will do something simalar, just one day start talking.

D
    D
    doesn't make sense to me that you would assume she has a hearing problem simply because she doesn't talk much. She will talk when she's good and ready!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by DublinMom
    doesn't make sense to me that you would assume she has a hearing problem simply because she doesn't talk much. She will talk when she's good and ready!

Maybe. But I think it's worth a hearing screen, which is a relatively easy and noninvasive procedure, since the timing of intervention for hearing impairment can be crucial. Finding out at age 3 or 4 could mean a lot more speech therapy, with less good final results.

J
    J
    Some children with speech delays or speech problems have hearing loss. Obviously, if they were born with a hearing loss, they would never know anything different and couldn't tell you that they can't hear normally.
    Your brain develops also by auditory input. If the child doesn't get adequate auditory input, as with a hearing loss, then the brain won't develop correctly. As with an auditory processing disorder. Not talking may well be a symptom of a hearing loss. It would be unwise to assume that the child will talk when they are "good and ready."

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Yay! I am happy to report that she seems to hear fine. In fact, during the screening I was holding her as my stomach gurgled and she would laugh every time it gurgled. The testers heard it, too. lol

I feel so relieved that her hearing is fine. Like you all said - she can talk when she is ready. And I am perfectly fine with that! wink

That's great news!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM