Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    We just got DD8's DYS acceptance yesterday and my DH and I are over the moon! I want to tell her and celebrate this but I KNOW DS11 will be upset and internalize again that his sister is "smarter" than he is.

He is a HG+ 2e kid and he KNOWS how bright and talented we think he is but he also knows that school is a continual struggle for him-whereas his sister breezes through. This has been a repeated topic of discussion when DS melts down about the difficulty of schoolwork or peer relations from time to time. "Why is everything so easy for (sister)?"

He has the very high PRI but she has the extra high VCI and working memory so she is just "wired for school" as her principal says. I keep telling him his time will come in school later on, just not now. How to enjoy the news with DD without making DS feel like the second string again?

F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    I can't wait to access the advocacy for DD but the program also specifically references "recognition" of PG kids as well, I would assume because they are so different that they don't always get recognition. I saw a celebratory aspect in there. Still haven't told either one about it but DS will be on it and full of questions when a whiff of this program actually appears in our lives. He is VERY observant and, like your DS, and glass half empty guy.

I'm sure it's different for different families, but we didn't celebrate DS's acceptance in DYS either, though he was young when accepted (5). It wasn't anything he did; it's just who he is, and we are grateful for the support. We don't have any other kids. My DH and I were extremely happy to have access to help with advocacy, and we've probably benefitted the most from learning from other parents. DS is just 8 now, and I think that the program gets more interesting to the kids when they are a bit older and really start making friends. This too depends on the kid -- this past year was the first year that our DS showed any interest in making close friends with anyone.

ETA: Congrats to you and your DD! It is a really great program and I hope you get a lot of use out of it.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/21/12 08:11 PM.
    A
    A
    I think one of the most important jobs I had as a mom was to teach my children that life wasn't fair and that railing against the things we saw as unfair only made us miserable and petty.

My kids competed in the same sport, and when one would do well enough to earn an invitation to a national competition and the other one didn't, it was devastating for the one that didn't. So we comforted the one the didn't, cheered the one that did and had private conversations with both of them about the importance of considering their sibling's feelings. We taught the winning sibling to express sympathy to the one who didn't and scolded the losing sibling if they behaved churlishly due to their disappointment.

This approach might work for you since it seems a similar dynamic.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent