Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #125639 03/17/12 04:17 PM
    kaibab Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Any suggestions for standardized tests to measure science level? I see lots of references to MAP testing, but is that just math? WJ measures reading/math. Explore has a science test, but it's not that specific. The ACT science doesn't really cover chemistry or physics or biology.

For a student at high school level for science, what would be objective supporting evidence of grade level and curriculum mastered?

Thanks for any help.

kaibab #125642 03/17/12 04:32 PM
    Hi Kaibab.

When my DS was 8 years old, his school was contemplating a subject acceleration in Science. They gave him the Woodcock-Johnson Achievement test for just Math and Science subtests. I haven't seen any other reference to a Science subtest on the Woodcock-Johnson, though. Here is what my report says:

"On the Woodcock-Johnson Revised, DS earned the following:
    Science, Standard Score (SS)= 174, 99.9%, Gr. Eq.=16.9

They decided to bump him up three grades in Science. Hope that helps, and good luck.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    kaibab #125643 03/17/12 04:40 PM
    B
    B
    In 3rd grade they can do Science Map testing. It is 2 different parts- science concepts and science knowledge. These are the tests that helped me realize that ds is way more advanced in science than I realized. I wish our school did the subject acceleration- if yours does good luck!!

kaibab #125645 03/17/12 04:59 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by kaibab
    For a student at high school level for science, what would be objective supporting evidence of grade level and curriculum mastered?

The SAT subject tests for high school courses and the Advanced Placement exams for college courses.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    ebeth #125653 03/17/12 07:27 PM
    kaibab Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ebeth
    "On the Woodcock-Johnson Revised, DS earned the following:
    Science, Standard Score (SS)= 174, 99.9%, Gr. Eq.=16.9

They decided to bump him up three grades in Science. Hope that helps, and good luck.

Thanks -- I didn't know there was a WJ for science. Are these optional on the WJ achievement tests? My DD has had WJ achievement and had no science tests? I'll have to investigate, but I really appreciate the info.

kaibab Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    The SAT subject tests for high school courses and the Advanced Placement exams for college courses.

I think this helps for older students, but I'm looking for something less than AP or SAT level that demonstrates pre-AP level science that demonstrates readiness for AP.

kaibab #125655 03/17/12 07:45 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by kaibab
    Originally Posted by Bostonian

I think this helps for older students, but I'm looking for something less than AP or SAT level that demonstrates pre-AP level science that demonstrates readiness for AP.

That's the level SAT subject tests are at. A high school student taking AP biology, chemistry or physics has usually taken a prior course in these subjects, taught at the level of the SAT subject test in the subject.

It may not make sense for a pre-high-school student to actually take SAT subject tests (unlike the SAT reasoning test, which is used by talent searches), but since books with practice tests by the College Board and tutoring companies are inexpensively available, the SAT subject tests can be used informally to assess readiness.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    kaibab #125663 03/18/12 06:34 AM
    You might try this link:

Dumont Willis Woodcock Johnson III

Down in Section 19, it lists the following:

19. Academic Knowledge: oral questions about factual knowledge of science, social studies, and humanities.

Another website shows that Test 4 on the WJ III Achievement test has the following:

Test 4 - Factual Knowledge is a test of general information with items alternating among three content areas: social studies, science and humanities (art, music, and literature; Woodcock, McGrew & Warder, 1994, p. 220-221).

Test Review: The Mini-Battery of Achievement

DS's school psychologist may have just pulled the science part of this out.

Mom to DS12 and DD3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM