Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
    At 9 months dd5.5 was able to say 'up', followed closely by all sorts of stuff like 'gorilla' and 'woof' because I guess she thought she was a dog. Around 11 months she shouted "I need water!" and has been trying to run the house since then.
    She walked at 12 months and 3 days or thereabouts.
    She has always stood out as extremely articulate and very well coordinated for her age. aka 'a handful'.

Ds10 was slow to be particularly well understood by others, some hearing issue from earaches, possibly. His large motor coordination has always lagged a bit from other kids his age, although he walked around 13 months, which is pretty normal.
    He is tested gt for language arts; his fine motor control has always been really amazing, drawing, origami and other visual art/spatial things come extremely easily for him.

Last edited by chris1234; 10/26/11 10:09 AM.
    M
    M
    My oldest (6th grader) was in GT during 4th and 5th. We decided not to continue with GT since our local middle school is amazing and GT middle school is far and inconvenient. He was not especially quick to learn walking: at 13 months maybe... Has big motor skills always were very good (For instance, he moves very gracefully. Oddly he has no talent for sprinting - he does not change the lengths of his strides - from short and quick to long - as a his speed increases. This is very odd to me since it seems so intuitive). At some early pediatric visit we were asked: "does he know 50 words?" We were not sure. They seemed worried about that and I guess so were we as a result. He had one ear infection after another and that might have contributed... Then at the next visit they asked something like does he know a few hundred words and we thought that he pretty much had a vocabulary in the thousands. So everybody has their own schedule. Now he's in 6th grade an his Lexile range is 1526-1676 and his RIT score was 257 (BTW should we be worried that this is the exact same score he had last last year in 5th grade?)
    Our second boy was extreme in that he spoke in sentences at age 9 months (comprising an object and a verb such as "I don't want to" and "I'm hungry"). But of course it was not always grammatically correct and often words were pulled together (I.e "I don't want to" sounded like "I nanto.") Still very early, I guess. He is clearly very smart (maybe smarter than his older brother but has not distinguished himself in school yet. He seems very relaxed about it and not as driven as his older brother). We'll see what happens.

B
    B
    Ds9 started walking at 8 1/2 months... Running at 9 not months and has not stopped yet! First word 6 months and full sentences by 18 months. Talks super fast and all the time. Often providing I sightful lectures on history, mythology( difference between Greek and Roman gods) or what ever topic he is interested in at the time.
    Dd7 walked at 10months, was slower verbally- had to have tubes at 9 months and a 2 1/2, the Doctor said she heard everything as if she was under water until they got cleared out. Shortly after tubes she started talking and if you know her now... She has no problem talking...LOL!
    Brandy

I awkwardly put my first answer in the brag thread. To quote a presidential candidate, "Oops.". Espers used one of her maybe sentences she uses (dora's I did it!) but she added onto it. This is the first sentence I've heard her make that she added to the words by herself. We were making animal sounds looking at a book. We got stuck on some cows for several minutes. Me: moooo Her: mmmo. Smiles, grins, and giggles. Finally, Her, "I dey it, I mmmm." Again, I apologize for making a conversation in the brag thread.
    So it's official. She walked @ 11m. And talked @ 13.5 months, but not fluently. She still makes a lot of shrieks, squeaks, and grunts.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    L
    L
    DD22 walked at 9 months and talked near 12 months. She is very bright (more of a "well schooled" child than academically gifted) and gifted athletically. She is currently in graduate school at the University of Oxford after graduating in the spring from a US college where she attended on a full ride athletic scholarship.

DS8 never crawled and walked at 8 months. His first word was at 6 months (Ab for our dog Abby) and his first phrases were before 12 months. He read at 3 years and was quite concerned that his long division skills were lacking when he started kindergarten. He loves sports, but isn't particularly athletic. He's been tested and he falls in the HG range...the jury is still out on whether he'll be a good student like his sister, but he loves a variety of topics, is very curious and is an all around enthusiastic child.

J
    J
    Oldest walked at 12 months and "talked" with baby signs at 9 months. Words at 12 months and full sentences at 14 months. He is hearing impaired but is very articulate- he got a 150 on the WISC verbal at age 6. He talked very fluently, big words, long sentences at 16 months.
    Youngest walked at 10 months and talked full sentences at 12-14 months. He does everything earlier, I guess b/c he's trying to keep up with big brother, LOL!

M
    M
    DD, who is MG, hit normal milestones of walking and talking at about 11-12 months.

DS walked at about 12 months, but didn't talk until almost 27 months. The teachers were worried enough that suggested early intervention. Fortunately our pediatrician (the same one that identified him at 6 weeks as one of the most alert kids he had ever seen) told us that it would be a waste of time, and instead said that when DS decided to finally speak, it would be in full sentences. And that is exactly what happened at 27 months. His delay surprised us because he was mentally ahead of DD in all other measures.

U
    U
    DD walked at 12 months. She said her first word at 7 months and acquired more gradually till she had more than 50 on her first birthday. She had hundreds upon hundreds of words and was talking in paragraphs at 18 months.

DS walked at 13 months and said his first word at 10 months. I think he had maybe 20 words at a year, or soon after. His language development was slower than DD's, but still well ahead of the curve, especially for a boy.

DD has tested MG, though we suspect her score is a bit low. DS has not been tested. He is able to read beginner books at not-yet 4 (DD didn't read till nearly 5, at which point she suddenly read fluently) and is showing some other signs of being a bit "more" than we suspected. He is a much less driven child than DD, except when it comes to chess.

M
    M
    DD4 was nearly 15 months when she learned to walk. We always joked it was the 3 weeks she spent strapped in the Bjorn/stroller in Europe at 7 months that delayed her development. LOL

J
    J
    I have difficulty remembering....

I think dd was talking in short sentences by 12 months and handling very complicated sentence and even some abstract thought process by 18 months.

One day a couple weeks after she turned 2, I decided maybe I should start working with her on her numbers. After working with her for 15 minutes, she could count to 20. I decided not to do that anymore since I had no idea what we would do about her school if she was too advanced....

She taught herself how to count by fours when she was 3. She thought it quite amusing and would do this in the bathtub. I did not help teach her this.

She walked at exactly 9 months.

She read simple books at the age of three.

At the age of 4 she had such a thirst for knowledge and would not stop talking and trying to gather information... I decided to go back to work as I felt that interacting with me was not enough. We sent her to an academic preschool where they immediately accelerated her...

As a dancer, at the age of 10 she surpassed all her teachers who had danced professionally in her ability to pick-up on choreography. She was put in senior level classes which the teachers also took for practice and danced circles around them. Many of her teachers have told me they think she could have a career in dance- I don't think they realize that she really is simply gifted intellectually and they see the physical side of this. I am sure there are tons of better dancers out there- but few who learn the choreography after seeing it only one time.

She took the ACT at 13 and scored better than 80% of college-bound high school seniors.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM