Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Any recommendations or insights?

Looking at getting our DS (10 yrs old 4th grader) a tablet or e-reader. We have been thinking of this for a long time and thought it would be a great summer gift. Our original plan was just to get a cheaper one since it would mainly be for fun and entertainment. But since we just got the Dx of reading disability and ADHD-I, I want to make sure the one we pick out can provide more than just fun. So any suggestions are welcomed. I want to keep it under $300 (cheaper than that is of course better!) and one that has a good insurance policy (DS is accident prone wink )

I have read on a few sites that e-readers/tablets are very helpful and puts a little fun (and holds the attention) in reading and such. Since we were already thinking about one- figure why the heck not (unless there is good evidence against it)

Thanks
    Cory

J
    OP Offline
    J
    - my husbands suggestion was to get a new i-pad and it be a family thing. But I feel that if he has ownership of it- then it makes it more interesting for him. And hopefully that equates to using it for its intended purpose more easily. A pride of ownership kinda mentality!?

P
    P
    Hi Jolene,

I don't have any good suggestions at this point, but we're researching the same thing for our dd7 who has a birthday coming up as well as a reading challenge (she learns via auditory rather than visual). Are you looking for audio books / reading or just an electronic visual? If you're thinking you want something that reads text rather than just something e to use to read visually, I can let you know what we're thinking through.

I'm also interested in the input you get from others smile

Good luck!

polarbear

Kindle Fire would be my recommendation. Fits your price range ($199), is both an e-reader and a tablet. You can tie it to gift cards (as opposed to a credit card) and he can buy books, or download free/cheap apps from the amazon app store. I've got a couple of co-workers that bought them right when they came out and they've both been very happy with them.

~amy
    Hey Cory!
    I think an e-reader of his own is a great idea!

I think an important thing to consider is - do I want him to connect to the internet with it?

I have a basic kindle, and I like that it's easy to use. I like that I can download audiobooks and play them on headphones or through my car sterio. I can even have the computer voice read aloud a text book if I'm driving or doing crochet.
    I like that it's lightweight and the battery lasts a long long time. I like downloading free sample books. I like changing the font for low light viewing.

I tend to use the 'highlighting' function quite a bit as I read nonfiction, and it helps keep me engaged. I find it very fun to see what other people have highlighted.

I don't like that mine isn't backlit so reading at night is 'a production.' I may buy a case that provides light for night. At this point I'm using a LED flashlight, but it isn't relaxing. Still, the covers cost almost as much as the kindle. frown
    I don't like that even though there was an upgrade to include page numbers, I don't see the page numbers.
    I don't like that lots of books that I would like to own on kindle aren't availible on kindle. But then again, I tend to like 'unusual' sorts of reading material.

BTW - I'm currently reading Harvey and Goudvis' Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement on my kindle, and also on my smartphone. (I love that it switches back and forth) If you son isn't really enjoying reading, or seem mentally engaged with written material, it's possible that you could read this book and come up with some 'example stories' from your own experience that will help him. I'm mostly reading it as a 'Utopian Society' experience. How I would have loved to have had teachers in the early elementary school years who expected by classmates to have thoughts in their heads, and who were experts in helping those classmates express those thoughts! How I resented those 'reading comprehension' questions at the end of the article that compressed the delights of reading into 'detail catalouging' - as in (made up exgageration): "On the first day of school, what color tie was Dad wearing?"

As Harvey and Goudvis say:
    "We work hard to build a community of thinkers, expressers, listeners, and learners, a community where kids and teachers care and wonder about each other's interests."

Ahhhhh - this is what I dreamed school would be like.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    My DD8 has an (unactivated) LG Optimus V (Virgin Mobile prepaid smartphone). It hooks up to the wifi at home and at Grandma's. She's got a Kindle app with a slew of books, a bunch of free / cheap games, e-mail, Skype, music, Audible e-books. It does everything but text and make phone calls - which we could add for $35 a month with no contract, which includes unlimited 3G wireless.

Even without a case, it's survived multiple drops onto hard surfaces (most of which were caused by someone other than DD) with no worse issue than having to re-insert the SD card. It's got a 2GB SD card that can be easily upgraded for more capacity (unlike an iPod or Kindle Fire). It doesn't do text-to-speech (nor does the Fire, or the Kindle Touch).

They normally go for about $120 on Amazon; I got hers for $50 at Target on Black Friday.

M
    Online Content
    M
    We have the full gamut of devices. An iPad, two iPod Touches, two Kindle e-ink devices, and two Android phones. We also had a Nook Color which we lost. We use all of the devices on a regular basis.

It really depends on what the focus is. If the primary focus is reading, I strongly recommend the Kindle e-ink devices. They are a pleasure to read, and last for weeks on a charge. They are also very light and easy to hold, and a few ounces in weight matter much more after a few hours than you might think.

If you want a mixed device, I think the best bang for the buck is probably the Kindle Fire, although I haven't used one. The Nook Color was a fine little tablet as well, and the Kindle Fire has more horsepower so it should do better.

The iPad is at the premium end, and frankly I wouldn't get one solely for my DS10. However he has a iPod Touch that he loves, although admittedly that's really neither a reader or tablet. While we use the iPad all the time, I really don't use it for reading.

Last edited by mithawk; 03/15/12 06:04 PM. Reason: Added Android phones
    A
    A
    While the Kindle Fire is less expensive that the iPad, the prices have dropped on the iPads. And I do like the better parental control options = and the rumor mill points to Apple readying a new feature that will allow more parental controls in the near future, many suspect because it's looking likely Apple will add a payment component to the device much like Google Wallet or Square's Card Case.

The iPad is a great overall device, but it is more delicate. If you do go that route, get a good case to protect it against breakage.

our dd who has dyslexia is using an ipad with significant success. She gets books through reading ally and uses Dragon Speak Naturally most often. I just added Hands On Equations app to work on her algebra skills. She has not had it very long, but so far it has proven to be well worth it. THe only issue we have is that the battery is very short lived.

We were told when we purchased it (from the salesman) that the words ipad and durable should not be used in the same sentence. He said even with the best protective covers he has seen them come back with cracked screens and other damage. We opted for the protection plan that would replace it for the next year just in case. As yet, I do not let her take it to school. She has a computer to use there at this point.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for all the responses.

We went out today to scope out a few. Ipad, Nooks and Kindle.
    Hands down the Ipad was the best. But price and practicality of giving this to a 10 year old knocks it off the list. (I want one after playing with them though!!)

Still weighing all the pros and cons- but leaning towards the Nook Tablet or possibly the Nook Color. There are things that are lacking but I think it may be the best fit. I wished I liked the Kindle Fire better since I am an Amazon addict but the Nook seemed easier to navigate and set up controls to prevent DS from going crazy on it. (I felt it was easier to set up password protections on it) I really wish it had a text to speech option though- would be very handy.
    DS's interest are out stepping his reading abilities. Audio books are always an option- but I really wanted a "read along" option. But besides the kindle e-readers- I do not see that option on these others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM