Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #125424 03/14/12 10:26 AM
    A
    amom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    would love to get your suggestions on spelling resources/ideas to start working on spelling with dd5. thanks

A
    A
    We love spelling city. It is free and you can either enter your own words of search for word lists. There are games, sentence completions etc. This worked great when my son was not to excited about having me "quiz" him.

G
    G
    We're now teaching spelling to my kindergartener, as much as I dislike the idea. Errr, I've tasked DS' sitter with this, doing a few "high frequency" words and a single a word family ("theme and variations") each week.

DS has years of spelling lists ahead of him. We're working hard to avoid making it a chore.

So far, my sitter has done:
    Spelling hopscotch: Draw out the letters for the words on the driveway, and jump as spelling the words.
    Write words on the driveway in chalk.
    Clay: make the letters from clay, experiment with rearranging the letters.
    Banagrams spelling: construct words with a single spelling rule with letter tiles. _in and substitute the first letter, to make other words (pin, spin, grin, etc) then add on letters to the end (mint). Or give a pile of tiles (g-r-i-n) and ask to create a word that means "smile."

Other things DS likes:
    Rainbow spelling (write the word 7 times on top of itself with the colors of the rainbow, also helps to cement proper letter formation and automacy of the writing)
    Math words. Hey, play to the kid's strength, right?

P
    P
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    We're now teaching spelling to my kindergartener, as much as I dislike the idea.

I hope this isn't taken in the wrong way, I am asking because I'm just curious - if you dislike the idea of teaching spelling to your kindergartner, why are you doing it? Does he/she have spelling tests or expectations at school? Is your child asking to learn spelling?

Our schools have always emphasized reading first, spelling later on. It's not something I'd push on my little one unless he/she absolutely had to do it as part of their schoolwork. But otoh, I'm not an English teacher! SO my knowledge of the correct order of things could be very skewed wink

Best wishes,

polarbear

T
    T
    All About Spelling! You can read about it on my blog in my link.

I DESPISE traditional spelling methods and avoided them even as a PS teacher (much to the chagrin of my principals) but I really do love All About Spelling.

I use it with my homeschooled girls. Highly recommended for the quality and methods. It is really NOT a chore and it teaches kids the "whys" of the spelling rules which I like.

G
    G
    Polarbear, DS is now skipping first with spelling as his weakest area. The school has strongly recommended that we catch him up to a second grade level before August.

If that were all if it, I'd tell them to jump in a lake and educate the kid, and not the kid they wish he was, but as it is, he will not be able to enter the appropriate level of math right because of his writing skills.

No, I'm not really happy about this. We're making the best of the less-the-perfect situation.

"For those writing by hand, there was stronger and longer-lasting recognition of the characters' proper orientation, suggesting that the specific movements memorized when learning how to write aided the visual identification of graphic shapes."

Says this article
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704631504575531932754922518.html

It's not the one I wish I could find, which said, "the brain remembers what the hand does".  I want to say that was in a handwriting without tears sponsored article, but I can't find it right now.  The Well Trained Mind suggests copying from a book well-written sentences, so you get used to writing well written sentences.  

Hooked on Spelling has a piece of paper folded lengthwise in 1/3rds.  You write the spelling list inside under a flap.  They copy the list one word at a time on the other 1/3.  Trying to look under the flap as little as possible.  (a list of 5 words).

Another thing we've done is he looks at a word and spells it, then closes his eyes and spells it.  (when we're better at this he'll need to spell if backwards with his eyes closed too, to cement the visual of the spelling).  

A kinesthectic spelling game (sp?) involves numbering 1-10 on a list on a wall with post-it notes.  Then have your kiddo run back & forth for each letter for each word in a list for word families (you'll need a phonics spelling list for this to make sense, up, supper, top, stop, hop)
    http://www.spellingcity.com/spelling-curriculum.html
    When they get one word on the wall you say, "spell the word supper".  "Now spell the word supper with your eyes closed".  

We have a spelling book that was my great-great grandfathers schoolbook.  Back then I guess your spelling book was just a book of lists after list, organized by word family, getting tougher as it goes.  We've been playing at lessons doing the things I've described here.  But I don't have him memorizing or testing him on them at the end of the week.  We're just exercising his "spelling  class" muscles. HtH

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    Does he have a strong grasp of *all* the phonics rules? That helps immensely.

Lots of homeschoolers use and like All About Spelling. We've just used some free spelling lists with our son, and picking out words in reading / life as we go. I agree with aculady about phonics rules-- we've generally just pointed them out to him on the fly. We taught him spelling to help with perfectionism and fluency issues with writing.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    P
    P
    Geofizz, I'm sorry - I forgot your ds was grade-skipping, I just read ds5 and thought, heck, this kid is still young, don't sweat it smile

We use Spelling City for our kids - you can create your own lists and you can also search for common lists like Dolch etc and add them in easily. There are plenty of bells and whistles to keep my 7 year old entertained smile

I'll also second aculady's suggestion to focus on phonics as a first step.

Handwriting was mentioned above - fwiw, I'm parenting two 2e kids neither of whom can use handwriting to learn spelling (ds12 is dysgraphic, dd7 has a memory challenge and learns almost exclusively via auditory input)... fwiw I've had Phonics Zoo recommended for dd7. I haven't looked into it in detail yet so I don't know much about it. DS12 had a spelling tutor for awhile when he was in 3rd grade who used a visual spelling technique that I think would be fun and motivating for a kid who isn't challenged by dysgraphia - I'll try to remember how it worked and describe it for you... but it's been so stuffed back into my long-term storage that it may take a few hours for me to remember it!

polarbear

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...