Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Would love some advice here on whether or not to panic over the following trend in dd12's state test scores. We just got her scores for the testing they did last fall. The scores below are so-called "scaled" scores- they can be compared from year to year, with increases providing a measure of individual growth.

Math:
    4th grade: 650, this was the maximum score possible
    5th grade: 612
    6th grade: 580

I realize there are many possible explanations for this downward trend. The issue is that *some* of the possible explanations are worrisome, if unlikely. I am wondering whether to approach the school about this or whether they'll just think I'm a PITA - any advice on that??

Other background --
    -she is generally having a great school year.
    -She is taking Honors Algebra for math (3 years accelerated) and has been earning a strong A in that all year.
    -Her reading scaled score on the state testing also dropped from 5th to 6th grade, with the 6th grade and 4th grade scores very close.
    -Her school did MAP testing at the beginning of this school year (6th grade), and the math and reading scores were both 99%ile for 6th grade, and about 97%ile based on the 8th grade norms.

Last edited by amylou; 03/12/12 08:56 AM.
    J
    J
    Maybe find out whate exactly is tested on the 6th grade math test she took and didn't do as well as you had hoped. Maybe she missed a few dumb things or a few concepts that you can teach her at home.
    Our teacher sent everyone last year a little packet to do at home right before the STAR tests, which is our state test. I realized my then second grader, for some reason, thought that 2:30 on the clock was 1:30. So I got the clock out and went over that with him,a nd he aced the real STAR test.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by amylou
    Would love some advice here on whether or not to panic over the following trend in dd12's state test scores. We just got her scores for the testing they did last fall. The scores below are so-called "scaled" scores- they can be compared from year to year, with increases providing a measure of individual growth.

Math:
    4th grade: 650, this was the maximum score possible
    5th grade: 612
    6th grade: 580

I realize there are many possible explanations for this downward trend. The issue is that *some* of the possible explanations are worrisome, if unlikely.

Since your daughter is taking algebra, ask her if she is interested in taking the SAT this academic year or next. If she
    does well on that and is getting good grades, I would not worry much about the state test scores.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    K
    K
    If she is three years accelerated and being tested at "grade level," she may just be a bit rusty on some of the content. I know that this often is an issue for the kids in our gt program who are being tested on things that they haven't reviewed for a year or two. I've heard that this tends to be a bigger issue as they they advance, i.e. they know the concepts of geometry but can't recall formulas they haven't used in two years. Alternatively, she may be making mistakes because the material is too easy so she isn't close enough attention. Does your state give you any feedback about content areas that she missed (ours doesn't)?

A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks! I am hoping the problem is that she is a bit rusty on the content they are testing for. They do give some breakdown into subtopics for the math scoring on the state test, but it is not quantitative. I don't think we can get our hands on the actual test or find out exactly what she missed, but I may inquire about that just to be sure.

Last edited by amylou; 03/12/12 11:29 AM.
    W
    W
    My guess would be along the lines of what knute974 said. Wolf is doing the practice for the STAR test and he's a couple grades ahead in math and a bunch in language arts. It's really easy to see what EPGY hasn't gone over in awhile! He remembers as soon as we discuss it though, so I'm not really worried. I mean when you have a kid who is writing novels, basic stuff that was learned years ago isn't necessarily kept in the instant access area of the brain.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent