Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Are there any summer institutes for the gifted for first graders?

http://www.giftedstudy.com/ has day camp that start at age K. Hopefully there will be a campus near you, and if not, you can 'vacation' near a day site. Also check your regional talent search headquaters, as they might have an idea.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Grinity,

Thanks once again. Has your DD or DS attended this program?

Yes, he attended after 3rd and 4th grade. He first year was heavenly, and he grumbled a good deal during the second year (when he was amoung the older of the kids in his group) - however, for all his grumbling he learned an amazing amount in his ability to write, and he got sold on the idea of using a laptop. Both of those things dramatically increased his readiness for the gradeskip that was to finally come. They make a big deal over allowing the child to choose the classes, but I told DS - you pick two - I pick one, 'cause I'm paying the bills. Luck for me, the writing class I chose had the coolest teacher and was his favorite.

They will also place a child with older kids if you feel your kid needs it. I'm not sure why I didn't push it, but maybe I should have. We've had great experiences going above-age at the state gifted association's saturday programs.

Good Luck,
    Grinity

C
    cym Offline
    C
    We live in a smallish community, but even here there are some nationally known programs that may also be available near you. When the boys were 1st grade, we did Camp Invention, USA Chess Camp, British Soccer Camp, local museum art classes, library reading incentive program and weekly crafts. Now we even have Missoula Children's Theater (weeklong outreach where kids act & at the end of the week they perform)--you may be able to look these things up and see if/when they're coming to your area. I also would take them to every museum in town and then some nearby towns (sometimes an overnight field trip). I suggest scouring the available programs in your area.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks so much. I will have to save up time at work for SIG for next year. I really appreciate the review of it, since I see it is expensive. Yes, we do have the Camp Invention program and I will check on the others since SIG is out of the question for this year.

K
    K
    Thanks for the camp invention feedback! We are signed up for that this year.

My boys did Camp Invention last year and LOVED it. It was at their school with teachers they knew. They had a great time and left wanting to go back for more. It is the one camp we are doing again this year. Hope everyone else has as much fun as they did! smile

Q
    Q
    Thanks to all of you, DS just signed up for camp invention today. He can't wait. Thanks!

Be prepared - my DS11 HateD Camp Invention at age 8. It's more 'dream it' than actually 'do it.' Of course it varies locally, as the individual teachers matter so much!

Good luck,
    Grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs