Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 465 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #124371 02/29/12 05:55 PM
    B
    bzylzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I was wondering if anyone's done theraputic horseback riding with their 2E child and what their thoughts and experiences were. Also anything to look for in a good program or stay away from.

I don't know if DD8 can do it (I don't know if there are qualifications that she would not meet) but it's just a thought at this point, for the summer possibly.
    Thanks.

I recommend it wholeheartedly!! We've used Hippa therapy for a variety of things. With 72 foster kids with an enormous range of issues, it has alway helped. ESPECIALLY Sensory stuff.... It's the bomb!

Around this house, we refer to it as "the magic pony"

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    A
    A
    My son's PT used horseback riding as an integral part of his therapy. She used the whole process from currying and saddling up to putting away the tack and putting down fresh bedding in stalls to develop motor skills, balance, etc. We saw great gains in gait, posture, strength, balance, coordination, and other areas. Pretty sure the horseback riding was what allowed my son to finally learn to ride a bike.

D
    D
    We have at various times used both horseback PT and therapeutic riding lessons. Both have been very effective. Given the hype out there, I feel I have to say that they do not directly address the core social deficits of autism. But they are *tremendous* for fitness, balance, coordination. We also saw a real sense of adventure and self-confidence emerge. It is expensive, and not covered by our insurance, but it remains something I'm willing to shell out for.

I'd say you should think about your goals for your child, and then find the right program. Horseback PT feels more like therapy exercises, excellent for targeting specific skills. Riding lessons, by contrast, feel more like a fun project, learning toward mastery, that just happens to have a lot of benefits.

DeeDee

B
    bzylzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks for all the advice! If I think something is effective I am behind the money issue, especially since DD has really fallen through both of the exceptionality cracks for too long and needs lots of boosting.

She loves animals and has been on pony rides, but I would tend toward going for the therapy riding because she is high-strung and I'd like that type of approach and support while she's near and on the horse or pony.

I have more concrete knowledge of the sensory and coordination issues now and will hopefully have a more thorough profile of the learning/social in a few months. I would think any self-confidence she gains could be translated into social interactions at the very least.

Thanks again!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by bzylzy
    I would think any self-confidence she gains could be translated into social interactions at the very least.

Some programs do group riding lessons, with social games built in. If social skills are a problem you might find one of those...

DeeDee

B
    bzylzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks DeeDee. She does well with her two close friends with imaginative and other games. In general, she has gotten very good at things like offering compliments, taking turns, asking the other person what their idea is. In groups of about 3-4 with either other bright or otherwise quirky/creative kids she does fine also.

She starts to break down in larger groups of "neuro-typical" kids and I believe at this point it's part processing/sequencing issues and part nerves from past "failures". The less supervised the situation is, the worse it is for her.

Now she'll generally go into humor/clown mode. That generally works for the moment, but then she gets upset when people don't take her seriously and say she's not smart and that shakes her up. She is also very uncoordinated and tries to joke about that but what she says when she's moved on from the situation indicates the humor was just a cover. We're working as hard as we can on that.

Her teacher called her a "goofball" which apparently was supposed to be done in an affectionate way, but I don't like it. I don’t believe it helps her get the healthiest self-image in the long run.

My friend thinks the school has "tagged" me as "an over-concerned parent" since they typically dismiss or ignore me (as in, not answering a note). I try to be very, very limited (keep it to important things) and succinct my communication. DD is very sensitive about me disapproving of or approaching her teacher. I try to respect that but don’t believe I’ve struck a good balance yet. I think the under-communicating is not beneficial just as over-communicating might be. For the most part I’ve tried and succeeded at being very polite and mature, so at least I have that to feel proud of.

I've signed up for a parent advocacy class through a parents-of-special-needs children group, a local one. They said I could come even though DD is not technically considered under any special needs umbrella at this time. The woman I spoke with totally got the 2E dilemna, which made me feel really supported.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM