Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
    D
    D
    I suppose my daughter's first obsession was books. At around 1 year old she would wake us up not by yelling "Mommy" or "Daddy", but by yelling "Book!"

Somewhere around 18 months of age the picture book dictionary became her favorite book. She seems to want to know every word in the English language. So you could say she is obsessed with words.

Currently at 29 months, she's pretty interested in the first moon landing (Apollo 11). There's a page in her children's encyclopedia devoted to it, which she makes me read quite often. I recently thought to show her a video of it, and got confirmation that she's been paying attention. She pointed to the screen and said "There's the lunar module."

Other topics of interest include bones and birds. In a couple weeks I'm going to take her to a zoo and she'll see an ostrich. She's pretty excited for that.

Originally Posted by La Texican
    He actually seems passionate about other people and what they're doing, come to think of it. �(aka pestering). � �
    He likes whatever just happened and loves to be the one to tell it. �He tries to be aware of what's going to happen and wants to be the one to choose. �Mr. Observation wants to be where the action is. �He'll tell you "I wanna be a rockstar".

This sounds alot like my DD4.5. Something will excite her and just MUST tell you thisveryinstant! Her passion for the world itself is very fun to watch.

She is also very into music, singing and talking. She sings or talks to herself almost constantly...I wonder if she is trying to keep herself company while her sister, 8, is at school.

And being a princess wink

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    G
    GHS Offline
    G
    DAD22, which children's encyclopedia do you have? We have a Children's Dictionary and DD loves it. I think the encyclopedia may be a big hit too!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by GHS
    DAD22, which children's encyclopedia do you have? We have a Children's Dictionary and DD loves it. I think the encyclopedia may be a big hit too!

Jumping in here: My son loves his Franklin talking dictionary.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by GHS

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

We have the DK First Encyclopedia, as well as the DK First Nature Encyclopedia. Both of those are well loved. We have a children's Atlas too, but that isn't as well loved.

I think the DK First Encyclopedia just went through an update. Mine still lists Pluto as a planet, and discusses the Concord as though it is still in use.

My daughter's interest in space has expanded to the planets too, now. I'm planning her first trip to the Air and Space Museum for this weekend. I just hope that she can enjoy it with so many other children there... she's very shy.

Edit:
    I think I'm wrong about the update. Everything I see lists the publishing date as 2002.

Last edited by DAD22; 10/26/11 01:13 PM. Reason: Correcting misinformation.
    S
    S
    DS2 changes obsessions frequently. We've gone through clowns, spiders, dinosaurs, swords, scary sea animals, insects, skeletons, sports equipment, teeth, and his newest is poisonous frogs. The only two that have endured are a love of all balls/spheres, water, and of orquestras/instruments. Whenever we go out he looks for a new type of ball to add to his collection.

M
    M
    DD4 is obsessed with dolphins. She even told everyone that I was having a baby dolphin when I was pregnant with DD3mo. She was a pink Amazon River Dolphin for Halloween when all of her friends were princesses. (She does love a good princess, though.) She can tell you all the types and facts. On her birthday, she said "Yes! One more year until I can pet the dolphins!" She is also obsessed with Taylor Swift. Most kids her age have no interest in pop music. She knows all the songs and which cd they are on, as well as, which number they are. (She was memorizing the numbers of kid songs on cds at 18 months.) I have no musical talent, but my husband plays the cello and the piano by ear, as well as the mandolin. DD is dying for a real guitar like Taylor Swift. We'll see about that! She is the only kid I know who begged to stay up late to watch the Grammys. smile

U
    U
    The ocean. The ocean. The ocean. Did I mention the ocean?

DS4 obsession right now is geography. He knows every single US state and state capital without hesitating one second. Learned it in a few days. Also working on the world capitals at the moment and keeps asking me to quiz him. He gets long pieces from the rolls of paper we have and draws the whole world map over and over again. (I have lost count how many rolls we have gone though in the past month..)

Still also obsessed with writing. He is currently writing a "novel" about himself in the "100 acre woods". The pad has 200 pages and he has gone through about 150 of them. He also writes on the above mentioned roll of paper...for hours and hours on end..

M
    M
    Currently: meteors.

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students