Hello. Our youngest (DS6) just did the first round of testing for our school's G&T program. I didn't get the scores, although I suppose I could/should ask for them, just the percentiles. He scored at 92% percentile on the KBIT-2 but hit ceiling of the TOMAGS (G&T coordinator said 99+ percent, but told me he hit the ceiling when I asked). Our distict uses these two tests as screeners and if one score indicates potential, they then do a full WISC-IV, which we will pursue. What I've read here about KBIT-2 and WISC, though, is that they're pretty comparable and it's unlikely his WISC-IV will be high enough to qualify for the G&T program (130 minimum for services). He's a very mathy kid so I'm not surprised he hit the ceiling on the TOMAGS, but he has no imagination (very linear thinker). Is the TOMAGS also correlated to IQ? I haven't found anything about correlations between the two.

Anyway, it'll be about 2 months before he takes the WISC-IV (bureacracy and all that). It's not a huge deal either way -- our G&T is a weekly pull-out, so it's not as if it's a terrible situation if he doesn't qualify. They are already providing a math enrichment pull-out for DS6 and about 4 other kids who are also very mathy and his teacher really engages him with extra math opportunities. His reading is above grade level, but not extraordinarily so. I think the biggest concern for me is that both of his siblings (DS10 and DD8) are in Challenge and I dread the conversation telling him if he's not going to be. Luckily we've never talked about being "smart enough" for Challenge, just whether kids are a good match for it.

Thanks.

Last edited by MurphysMom; 02/27/12 12:58 PM.