Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    The Economist article from two years ago is called Sex and the Single Black Woman. Here is the opening paragraph:
    "IMAGINE that the world consists of 20 men and 20 women, all of them heterosexual and in search of a mate. Since the numbers are even, everyone can find a partner. But what happens if you take away one man? You might not think this would make much difference. You would be wrong, argues Tim Harford, a British economist, in a book called The Logic of Life. With 20 women pursuing 19 men, one woman faces the prospect of spinsterhood. So she ups her game. Perhaps she dresses more seductively. Perhaps she makes an extra effort to be obliging. Somehow or other, she “steals” a man from one of her fellow women. That newly single woman then ups her game, too, to steal a man from someone else. A chain reaction ensues. Before long, every woman has to try harder, and every man can relax a little."

Interesting article but my thought was...what if there were 19 adult males and 20 adult females? I don't as easily picture the guys upping their game...I picture guys inventing video games or beer or sports or wandering off into the woods. Or working together with the other males to make rules about who has access to females. That sounds familiar.

Does this relate to the topic at hand? I think the OP brought up that some families go about solving the same problem in different ways based on their values and assets. I think the problem is that most schoolsystems aren't set up to meet the academic or social emotional needs of the kids at the tippy top. Some families respond by accepting the rules and going for the most visible brass ring while others question the whole system and try through advocacy to use what's availible to try and build a new solution.

Shrugs
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by yannam
    teaching work ethic is going to work everyday. If you do notlearn that however gifted one may be it is difficult to keep his job...
    I agree. Do you thing it is harder for gifted kids to learn work ethic because of overexcitabilities or because schoolwork is unchallenging or. Due to asynchronous development or 2e bottlenecks. Or maybe it is difficult for many kids independent of giftedness?
    G

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Interesting article but my thought was...what if there were 19 adult males and 20 adult females? I don't as easily picture the guys upping their game...I picture guys inventing video games or beer or sports or wandering off into the woods. Or working together with the other males to make rules about who has access to females. That sounds familiar.
    I believe that they too will try to compete, but in a different way. Forgive me for this non-politically correct generalization what I am about to make, but historically women choose men in part based upon who can provide enough money for the family, whereas men select women in part based upon attractiveness, which suggests fertility.

Having too many men vs women is becoming a problem in countries that abort a disproportionate number of girl babies, thus creating a population of young men that will never get married. I believe in China these "bare branches", as they are called, tend to be the ones least economically successful, and there is concern they will cause unrest in the future.

I realize we are getting off topic, so that's all I will say about this.

Originally Posted by yannam
    Originally Posted by Austin
    One mom asked DW how much we "work with him" and just did not believe that we don't do much at all. (And feel guilty that we don't..) Heck, we can't stop him from singing all the time, picking out CDs at the store, or telling us which songs he wants to listen to in the car.
    I do not agree

'working' with your kid definitely helps,however smart one may be,logically it should help more for gifted kids. teaching a work ethic helps immensely to any kid

My point was that Mr W is intrinsically interested in music and works at it all by himself. He is the most advanced kid for his age his piano teacher can recall. He does not need any support from us other than a correction here or there. Just by supplying the right environment he pushes himself.

There is a difference between innate self direction and external pressure for motivation. There is also a difference between mindful work and mindless work.

The key is to end up with a person who is intrinsically self motivated who works via a well thought out approach who constantly evaluates and adjusts their methods.

Sure, the kid who is pushed will surpass the kid whose parents ignore his desires, but the kid who wants to do something who is scheduled and support by his parents will surpass the pushed kid, all things being equal.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM