Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #124076 02/26/12 10:49 AM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Hi,

I am posting about my DD. She was test to go to a private school using the WISC IV. She 6 yrs old at the time. I am wondering about her test results and if any can help me interept them. It doesn't seem to be the full report and this is the only thing they give me when she tested.

Verbal Comprehension
    similarities 13
    vocabulary 13
    comprehension 10

perceptual reasoning
    block design 15
    picture concept 14
    matrix reasoning 15

working memory
    digit span 11
    letter seguencing 5

processing speed
    coding 12
    symbol 10

1-3 extremely low
    4-6 borderline
    7-8 low average
    9-11 average
    12-13 high average
    14-16 superior
    17-19 very superior

It seems that her scores are all over the place. The psych. said she thinks she didn't understand the lettering and that ways he score is low. She didn't get into the school so she is still in public. I was wondering if she should be in gifted and if I need to pursue it. It looks like she may be more bright then gifted. I figured you guys could help me out. Thanks

nicole22 #124106 02/27/12 06:17 AM
    Did they give you her full score? Or her GAI? I'm not a testing expert, but it looks like she did better than average, but nothing out of the ordinary, so to speak. I would imagine she enjoys school and does well?

I'm not sure what the cut-off is for the private school, but if her score was close, you might try again next year. Being older and understanding things more easily will probably cause her score to rise some.

~amy
    nicole22 #124108 02/27/12 06:53 AM
    Is this the IQ report for your daughter who is now 7 years old? I read on your earlier post that she taught herself to read at 3. What did your tester mean when he/she said she didn't "understand the lettering"?

How is school going for her right now?

Last edited by herenow; 02/27/12 06:54 AM.
    nicole22 #124109 02/27/12 07:02 AM
    C
    C
    With the scatter, the GAI would be more accurate and that would be 123, which is the 94th percentile. Other than that one 5, the scatter really isn't concerning at all IMHO. Scores in that 13-15 range are a pretty common place for mildly gifted kid and having a few low spots around 10 or so also aren't atypical. It is when you get ranges from 5-15 and see a lot of it where the scatter looks more atypical.

For instance, a child who has scores that look more like this would still be MG (mildly-moderately gifted) with the same GAI but would be more likely to appear either much more or less gifted and possibly be having a harder time in school:

Verbal Comprehension
    similarities 18
    vocabulary 13
    comprehension 5

perceptual reasoning
    block design 18
    picture concept 9
    matrix reasoning 17

Essentially when the scatter spans 2+ Standard Deviations especially within one subtest and it isn't just one piece that is atypically low or high, but a lot of highs and lows where most people would say that the FSIQ and/or GAI aren't great estimates for the child.

nicole22 #124111 02/27/12 07:41 AM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thank you for the responses. Yes this is the child that taught herself to read at 3 years. She does very well in English and Spelling. She can pretty much read anything put in front of her. That's why I was surprise to see her verbal comprehension average and lower then perceptual reasoning. They didn't give me anything else. The tester said that she don't think she understood the directions. I can't remember exactly what she said but it was along the line of it not being a true reputation of her potential I don't know what her FSIQ is. They will not test her in public school until 3rd grade. She is supposed to take the Cogats in the spring. Those score will be used for 3rd grade if she qualifies for gifted services. With a GAI of 123 that put her in the 94%. In my school district she will need a 96% in ability test to get GT services.

nicole22 #124118 02/27/12 09:43 AM
    A
    A
    We can sometimes have a skewed perspective around here about what "gifted" is. I would say that her WISC scores show a PRI that is probably in the range that would be considered gifted by your school district. (All of the subscores are in the "superior" range.)

Are there any language or hearing quirks in her history or any issues with the testing conditions that could have interfered with her understanding and depressed her verbal scores? (Examples would include bi-lingualism, ear infections, speech or language delays, autism spectrum conditions, hearing impairments, a tester with an unfamiliar accent, noisy testing conditions, etc.) It would be unusual, but not impossible, for a child who learned to read at 3 without formal instruction to have a VCI that was only in the average range unless there was something else going on either with the child or the testing conditions.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent