Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    1111 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just started the process of potty training DS27mo. He is absolutely physically ready since he can hold it in for over 3 hours. The problem is, he is an EXTREMELY sensitive child and gets very nervous when getting around the toilet. He said he is "afraid to go because there is an alligator in the toilet".

Just wondering if anybody has any tips for potty training a sensitive toddler with extremely high awareness?

I am considering just letting it go for now but it seems the 2 days we have been actively trying has at least made him more comfortable wanting to sit on the toilet. Before, when I tried, he wouldn't have any of it.

DS4 potty trained easily at 19 months and although he is a EG child he did/does not have the same sensitivities as his brother. Any tips would be appreciated.

A
    A
    Having him use a potty chair with a plastic liner so there is no water in it and it isn't connected to the sewer system where he may be afraid the alligators live would probably be where I would start.

I might also assure him that there are alligator excluder gratings in the sewer lines on every regular toilet that you or anyone you leave him with would ever ask him to use, even when you are out in public, so there is zero danger to him of an alligator attack while on the toilet.

Just out of curiosity, any idea where he heard about alligators living in toilets or sewers?

M
    M
    I have now had two toddlers afraid of the toilet (or potty), particularly public ones, because i had been too thorough in teaching them toilets were dirty and not to touch. My youngest has just TT this last month at 23 months, after nearly 6 months working on "everyone sits on the toilet, then we wash our hands and it's all clean". I was actually just thinking earlier today that i should update my own thread about toilet fears.

So I third the idea of fairly directly working on the fear. Where has it come from? How can you adress it?

1111 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you ladies for you responses.

I have tried a regular potty chair but DS is huge (41 inches tall) so he actually doesn't fit. I mean, he can sit on it but none of the urine will go INTO the potty...:-)
    That is why we are dealing with the toilet.

The whole alligator thing. He has an incredibly vivid imagination and makes up stories easily. I am assuming he gets the alligator idea from seeing alligators around here from time to time. (We are in Florida.) I will try to explain the alligators not being in toilets. Good idea.

So far I was somewhat ignoring it, trying not to talk about it in hopes he would let it go. But he is not an easily distracted child so I think perhaps explaining would be better.

P
    P
    DS4 got a complex at some point about the toilet and wouldn't have anything to do with kiddie potties or toilets. There was no incentive that would actually make him sit there.

So we started by having him pee in the tub/shower, at least that was in the right room. He went anyways upon being put in a filled bathtub, so it wasn't a big transition to a tub with no water in it. Once he was comfortable with the holding it, running to the tub (initially being lifted into it and then later peeing from over the side as if it was a giant toilet), parent rinsing it after (flushing), etc, then he was used to peeing only in the bathroom. After that it wasn't so hard to transition to (standing up on a stool) peeing into a potty/toilet without actually touching it. Then after that was easy, we tackled pooping. That way the actual sitting on a big scary hole was one of the last things he had to do and came after he was fully comfortable with all the other aspects.

Polly

E
    E
    For what it's worth, 11111, I got my son this potty chair specifically because it said it would fit big kids, and he has no problem peeing into it. (He is 3.5, reading fluently, but still not really potty trained. Finding daycare that can deal with him has not been a fun experience.)

S
    S
    I also let DS2 pee in alternate places until he was less scared of the toilet, then I had him pee standing up on a stool, so he never sat to pee. I would float a few pieces of TP on the water first and my son liked that (covered the hole).

Last edited by Somerdai; 02/25/12 07:16 PM. Reason: typo
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    For what it's worth, 11111, I got my son this potty chair specifically because it said it would fit big kids, and he has no problem peeing into it. (He is 3.5, reading fluently, but still not really potty trained. Finding daycare that can deal with him has not been a fun experience.)

Thanks for posting this, my 21 month old is already 36lbs and too big for any of the potties in the store. And showing no signs of readiness so who knows how big he'll be?!

My oldest didn't potty train until 3.5, she wasn't talking until then either. One thing I will suggest for the OP for when he will finally go, is to take something to cover the sensors on a public toilet or you will set yourself back weeks. My daughter wouldn't go near one for ages after the first time she had one flush while she was still sitting. If he's scared of the toilet at home, this will be 10x worse.

B
    B
    DS would not sit on a potty or toilet to start with. He was wee trained just before 2 but would stand and wee into the toilet (from a step) or I would hold the potty up. He continued to poo in a nappy until 3 1/2 because of fears or falling in etc (basically overthinking). One he became obsessed with how toilets work etc and he was ready we started sitting him on the toilet - initially for 2secs then a bit more, then a book... It took about a week and then he started actually doing something. He has been fine since.

1111 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Great suggestions! Thanks! I am thinking maybe I should try the potty chair you posted. Looks like it might be big enough. Does the pee guard really cover the pee? Is it really high enough like the reviews say?

I will keep in mind to cover the sensor of the noisy commercial toilets. Hadn't thought about that. Peeing in the tub is a great idea too. I don't know if DS does pee when he takes a bath. Sometimes he will get out and pee within 5 minutes. I am going to try it though. I will also try covering the hole in the toilet with TP. The hole might be scaring him.

Lots of great ideas to try! Thank so much. I will keep you updated. If you can think of anything else let me know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM