Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DeeDee #123457 02/19/12 11:52 AM
    A
    A
    I second everything in DeeDee's post.

ElizabethN #123686 02/21/12 03:11 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    I took the paragraph out of my OP about the teacher, because I decided I was being unfair to her. She is in fact trying to help DD, I'm sure, and has been more accommodating than some would be, even if it doesn't seem like enough.

Today I faxed our ADHD questionnaire to DD's doctor (haven't gotten the one from the teacher back yet), and I asked her for opinions on our local OT and for one or two names for a neuropsych consult. I may well end up taking her to Dr. Eide's center, but I want to see what the wait times are elsewhere before I make a final decision on that.

ElizabethN #126002 03/22/12 12:08 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Ugh, I typed a long update, and it vanished when I tried to post it.

Shorter version: she has a counselor now, and has been doing neurofeedback with pretty good results. She has a behavior plan at school, and that is also helping.

She had an OT screen at school for the writing issues, which found
    I screened DD's fine motor skills on March 3rd.
    She did a variety of tasks for me. A fine motor evaluation is not warranted as she demonstrates the necessary foundational fine motor skills.
    The following observations were made during the screen:

* DD is left hand dominant and holds her pencil with a functional grasping pattern. She stated, "It seems like I'm left-handed. But I brush my hair with my right hand."

* She accurately cut out a star on a thin guideline. She demonstrated good bilateral coordination as she controlled the scissors with her left hand and turned the paper with her right hand. She positioned both hands in a mature thumbs-up fashion and cut in an efficient clockwise direction.

* She drew a very detailed picture of a person and demonstrated distal finger-tip control as she colored within a small space.

* She copied a sentence with 100% letter legibility in manuscript. She forms some letters inefficiently. But it would be difficult to change at this point as the motor plan for letters if firmly locked by this age.

* She maintained consistent spaces between and within words.

* She copied the same sentence in cursive handwriting with 23 out of 26 correct letter formations and connections. Her cursive handwriting was very fluid.

* A review of her classroom work reveals less legible manuscript handwriting. The assignment required her to write on paper with a single guideline. 3-lined paper provides more visual cues and usually results in increased legibility.

It might be beneficial to provide 3 -lined paper when possible.
    A self-edit checklist would also help her attend to the details of handwriting legibility. (I have several samples if you would like a copy).
    Encourage her to continue practicing cursive handwriting. As her speed improves, this may be a more efficient mode of written communication for her.
    Let me know if you have any questions. smile

She has a neuropsych eval scheduled, but it won't happen until July. (I decided not to go with the Eides because of the even longer wait time, longer distance, and because I really don't believe that she has dyslexia.)

I still welcome any thoughts or suggestions!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM