I am getting to my wits' end with my seven-year-old daughter's school difficulties.

Her teacher contacted us to complain about her throwing tantrums in school (which she described as "spectacular" - well beyond what she has seen before in 26 years of teaching). But she's also struggling a great deal with handwriting and generally with written expression. When she talks, she is quite insightful and engaged, but she just cannot get her ideas onto paper, and is getting to the point where she stops trying.

We're just starting on the road to having her evaluated, but the description of kids with ADHD/PI reads like it was written about her. In addition, she melts down whenever she feels she has been treated unfairly, which can involve screaming, kicking things, etc.

Switching her to another class is not an option, because she is in a gifted program that has only one classroom at her grade level.

DD hasn't had a formal evaluation since she was 4, but she scored a 145 on the WPPSI-III then. She's in a 2nd grade class doing 3rd grade curriculum. We saw a counselor and her doctor this week, and they both focused on the ADHD-PI diagnosis, but that's not confirmed without going through the questionnaire process. I don't know if we should be looking at a full neuropsych eval, or how we go about doing that if that's what we need to do. (We're in the Seattle area if anyone has referral suggestions.)

Help!

Last edited by ElizabethN; 02/21/12 03:08 PM. Reason: took out stuff about teacher