Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #123145 02/16/12 08:40 AM
    hinotes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello, all!

I've been hanging out and doing a ton of reading on the boards in the last week. It is so very nice to not feel so alone. I have an 8yo DD who learns at an extremely quick rate. She was homeschooled through Feb. of last year, then wanted to "try school." The timing was right so we put her into 2nd grade. She was WAY past the math they were doing but no one thought to do anything with that and she has always read way beyond a normal reading level... by this past winter break, we had found school did not offer her what she needed to succeed. She was begging for work at the level she could do but all the school would give her is more work. She easily qualified for the pull out gifted program but it wasn't enough for her.

We are now back to homeschooling. I'm working on being patient with myself when she learns so very quickly and remembering that homeschooling doesn't need to be just workbooks, which frustrate her.

We are in eastern PA, near Pottstown. She does have a lot of friends, some from PS, some from theater and some from homeschooling. I am, lately, noticing more of a difference with her though, when she is with groups, she tends to pull away and do her own thing. It isn't always a bad thing. She seems to need to decide if she likes what they are doing and if she is interested enough in it - usually, she isn't.

I do have the question currently asked to the school psychologist who tested her on whether or not extended norms were used, since she hit the ceiling on a couple of sub test on the WISC-IV.

DD qualified for the verbal/humanities courses with CTY and she wants to take the C-Mites exam next year - I thought one a year is a good start, since they cost money. smile She thinks she is bad at math but she was only off that a couple of points for C-Mites, too.

Anyway, I want to formally introduce myself. Thank you all for all of your posts. They are so informative and wonderful.

Blessings!
    ~Christine

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    hinotes #123176 02/16/12 01:05 PM
    Welcome to the board. I have a 14-year old daughter. I really enjoy reading and posting to this forum.

hinotes #123192 02/16/12 06:13 PM
    hinotes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Ellipses. Nice to *meet* you. smile

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years