Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    N
    Like Cricket, I have a 2e child who has been tested twice and come out with scores about 20 points different (higher in our case) the second time around. Neither score is considered to be anywhere near his actual IQ, as he simply doesn't think in the way needed for the test. I wouldn't expect it to vary that much in a non-2e child.

I would push them to use the scores they have, but if they insist, be prepared to battle if her score doeesn't qualify her the second time around.

C
    C
    And, FWIW, my dd's scores were gifted both times. It was just the difference btwn PG and MG with scores ranging from the 25th to 99.9th+ even when she appeared MG. I think that I might have been able to argue for GT placement even using the lower, MG, scores even if they had been a few points lower or missed the GT cut by a few points b/c there were some very impressively high scores still in there.

I'd agree with Nautigal that I wouldn't expect the kind of fluctuation we've seen in a non 2e child either and that type of erratic fluctuation is something we see constantly in dd in all of her testing including school tests and annual achievement tests. If you're not seeing that, which it doesn't sound like you are, I'd be less worried about a big change.

T
    trean3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you all so much for your responses. I feel much better just having a chance to talk about this. I went into my meeting based on the injustice of having her be the only child to be restested. The CST agreed and stated that they predicted her scores would probably only increase so retesting is not necessary. I am not sure what the principals final decision will be but I provided a lot of research that stated age 6 is a valid age for testing a G&T child.
    One thing I have learned from this process is that I need to continue to be an advocate for my DD and keep pushing the school to provide her with the services she deserves. Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM