Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #122377 02/08/12 01:52 PM
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    At story time today DD was the only one dancing and shaking her maracas with the music.. and was following around the only kid there over the age of 2.

We have a class near us that is just a fun music-filled class where children age 2-4 just dance and they show them colors, shapes and letters. No parents, just a teacher for 45 minutes.

I really want her to spend some time with other kids without the mom-hovering that goes on with play dates. This seems like a great way since we aren't going to do any daycare or preschool at this point.

She's 14 months, but has hit most of the milestones up to 22-24 months and loves dancing, "singing" and interacting with other kids. She learned how to play with cars and wipe her face with a napkin a few weeks ago by hanging out with her 4 year old cousin. It seemed good for her. Should we try it?

I've already talked to them but I didn't say her age. Their website says ages 1 to 4 but I think that page might be an error, because I've seen 2, elsewhere..

We can totally wait... but do you think this would be good for DD now? We very rarely get out to play dates and such otherwise.

Last edited by islandofapples; 02/08/12 01:54 PM.
    S
    S
    Sounds like fun to me!
    I took Nick at 14 mos to a gym class for 18 mos kids, just checked with the teacher first and brought him along so she could see his ability.

Do you feel like it would over schedule you in anyway? That is my only feelings of reservation when it comes to picking a new activity. I like my LO to have plenty of down time. smile

Speechie #122385 02/08/12 02:27 PM
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Speechie
    Sounds like fun to me!
    I took Nick at 14 mos to a gym class for 18 mos kids, just checked with the teacher first and brought him along so she could see his ability.

Do you feel like it would over schedule you in anyway? That is my only feelings of reservation when it comes to picking a new activity. I like my LO to have plenty of down time. smile

They'll find out her age when we get there and I fill out the form. I was going to just get there and hope they let her try it out since this class is a free trial class anyway... and that page did say 1 yr!

DH and I both work from home and I feel like we never go anywhere. We made the effort to take DD downtown for a playdate last week, once, and this week I made us go to story time. Definitely not overscheduled, but I'm going to have to push the stroller to dance since DH has class that night, unfortunately. But hey, good exercise for me.

Last edited by islandofapples; 02/08/12 02:30 PM.
    S
    S
    I think you've got nothing to lose by trying smile

FWIW, the gym teacher knew Nick's age, but okayed it in advance because she could see he was ready physically/mentally to try.

I hope it works out and she LOVES it!

B
    B
    DS started gymnastics in a 4-6 year old class at 3. His teacher could see he could follow directions etc and was happy to let him. 6 months later he got the gold medal for his group at the end of year carnival, probably because he is the only one who does actually listen and follow directions smile

H
    H
    From my experience, those age requirements are pretty flexible, esp for music/dance/gymnastics classes.

Last edited by HelloBaby; 02/10/12 01:23 PM.
    S
    S
    My daughter and I did a parent-tot music and movement class when she was that age, and it was great. She loved it, it was a good way for her to practice basic social skills, it got us out of the house (I was always looking for things to do out with her because she loved the stimulation, got bored quickly at home), and it led to several connections with other parents and to playdates. We still sing some of the songs we learned there nearly three years later.

The music class was for toddlers, so there wasn't an age issue, but she did outgrow it far before she reached the age for the preschoolers class. You're probably right on track joining this class at the young end of the range.

Also, in the past year we have had great success enrolling my daughter in enrichment classes and camps meant for slightly older children. (The first time I tried it I lied about her age, but I felt so guilty that I haven't done that again!) Instructors I've encountered are surprisingly open to letting her enroll even though she doesn't meet the age requirement. I usually explain that she is advanced/competent/passionate in the class topic and that she is mature and prefers the company of older children so should fit in well. Those have been her happiest group experiences so far.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations