Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Hello! I am new to this.
    I have a 16 month old who doctors have said from day one 'Oh wow, she's very alert!' (which is an understatement)She doesn't appear to need naps, and goes insane if she isn't exploring something new all the time. Needless to say, it's exhausting! I am here just looking for support and advice on how to best nurture her development.

I was not a gifted child myself, but my husband is a very gifted scientist and I would guess this is where she gets it from! From the very beginning, I have been amazed at how other people's babies looked so dazed and relaxed compared to ours. I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar experience, who can point me in the right direction!
    God bless

M
    M
    welcome! Looking forward to hearing more about your little one as she grows smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Welcome! Sounds like you have a fun baby there. Just forget what the regular old baby books say and do things that she enjoys. Don't worry about other people saying things like "she shouldn't be doing XYZ yet" and just roll with it.

~amy
    C
    C
    Welcome! What Amy says - and also, put your own mask on first, before helping others with theirs :-) If you're getting exhausted, it's hard for you to enjoy your DD, and in the end that's not good for her. So try to optimise your plan to get enough rest however little she needs, encourage her to learn to entertain herself, to the extent you can influence that, etc.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks everyone, you have made me feel very welcome here!

A
    A
    My first born dd was just like your little one. We did a lot of music and movement classes, took at least one walk a day, made frequent trips to the zoo and basically were on the go more than I would've preferred.

I did reserve TV and videos for when I was tired or sick. That helped make them special and gave me some time to regroup and recharge.

W
    W
    Welcome. Just remember all gifted children are not alike. Even with all these alert baby stories. They may want and need different things. I have found that exploring different options, and getting to know my daughter as she grows, I start understand what kind of education works for her.

One size does not fit all here.

Ren

B
    B
    Hi DublinMom
    Don't give ALL the credit to your hubby : - ) Obviously "the universe" such as it is matched you up with your child because you are "gifted" enough to manage, even if it's not an IQ number, a level of education or a particular type of job. You are smart enough to come looking for support while your little one is so young, right?

Have fun and make sure to get plenty of rest. When she gets a little older the questions start and it will be fun and you'll learn alot yourself but your brain will feel shredded sometimes!

Best wishes

My DW sells herself short, too. But I would not have attached myself permanently to a woman I felt was inferior to me.

As she has learned more about the nature of giftedness, and I've thrown more examples at her of how her behavior fits the pattern, her arguments against herself have slowly begun to sound flat even to her.

B
    B
    When I was in 4th grade my best friend "gained entrance" into the gifted program and I didn't. She told me, very carefully (and looking back, in a very patronizing manner) "don't worry, I'll still be friends with you"

I guess I was reassured (?) but I remember being confused. It makes me laugh now. It's something that might be in a sitcom.

I wasn't surprised not to get into a gifted program because I was very quiet, struggled in reading until 3rd grade and would never catch up with her reading level, and came from a family of voracious readers (parents and siblings with advanced reading levels!) and people using big words and having a quick wit. The stereotypical gifted types...obviously gifted to the world.

When my parents finally did find out my IQ, it wasn't too bad and surprised everyone. My mother will still sometimes say "we couldn't believe your IQ was that high - you were so quiet!" That's how alot of people (and schools, still today) think about giftedness.

There are many ways to be "gifted" for raising a very smart kid. Gifted in patience, not having a huge ego helps smooth the wheels, admiting that you don't know what you don't know, being willing to find the answers and not always assuming you have the answers, and having an open mind...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years