Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    More than anything else, our DD8 cannot stand to be wrong. This applies to being wrong about facts or information, as well as being caught doing something wrong, like taking her sister's toy.

When caught doing something wrong, she will with utmost conviction deny being wrong, and use all manner of verbal subterfuge to wiggle out of it. She is so convincing that we often second-guess what our own eyes have seen. When the subtle approach fails her, she will blatantly deny and lie with a defensive fire in her eyes. In fact, in daily life with her friends and family she seems to begin most replies with, "No,[let me correct you; you misunderstood me; what I really meant was; that's not at all what happened...]" She has been doing this since age 5 but it has increased this past year.

What is going on here? We aren't Tiger Parents and our punishments are not severe. In fact we're pretty casual and lazy in that regard. We don't hype her up as the gifted know-it-all, and we regularly tell her that we're wrong all the time, and that it's OK.

What worries me is that no matter what approach we use to rebuke her blatant lying and denial, she won't back down. It's as if she truly believes she is not wrong, when really what appears to be going on that she cannot handle being wrong. If we keep pushing, she melts down, screams and howls.

We've tried talking to her about it. We tell her we are wrong all the time, and that's it's normal and OK. But this does not seem to make a dent.

I wonder if maybe early on, when she got wind she was gifted, she took it on as her identity. Her tester was quite impressed and spoke to her of grade skipping, but maybe now that she's in a gifted class where she's not the highest achieving student, this identity is threatened. In fact, it almost seems like it burdens her, because she doesn't care for academics; her only real passion is to be spontaneously discovered as a pop star. But then when we try to tell her she needs to practice singing more to get there, she becomes a wall.

Is this typical for gifted children? Has anyone else dealt with this successfully, and if so, how?

We just want her to be happy and be who she is. As parents we believed we had the most power and influence to help her accomplish this, but the reality often leaves us feeling powerless, forcing us to shrug our shoulders and ask for help. And thanks to places like this, we can find some guidance, since we cannot afford the child shrink at present. wink

P
    P
    Our soon-to-be-8 dd is much the same - in fact, I'd say everything you wrote I could have written about her... up until the pop star part! Our dd instead wants to be the superstar academic... but that may be mostly a function of being a little sister to an extremely EG older brother to "compete" with (please note, it's only dd who's competing, everyone else in our family is on the extreme side of mellow!).

I don't really have any advice for you - for our dd, there was more than just the need to be in control and perfect and all that going on - she also has a challenge with associative memory, so for her, sometimes when the facts as she sees them aren't really the truth of what happened, it's genuinely a case of her not having the memory link in place. Other times she is clearly in full control of her brain synapses but just doesn't want to get in trouble and/or wants to be fully in charge. We are having her see a counselor this spring to help her deal with her anxieties, and the counselor gave us a technique that does help in situations where dd is saying things that aren't true as a way of feeling like she's staying in control. It actually works for our dd! Here's how it goes:

dd blurts out something we know isn't the truth
    we tell her, "Sometimes all of us say things we accidentally don't mean to say. We get excited and the words just rush out before we have time to really think about what we are going to say. It sounds like that just happened to you. I'm going to give you three minutes to think about it, and then we'll start over again. It won't matter what you said before. After three minutes you can tell me what you actually wanted to say, and I'll listen."

Once we started this technique, dd not only responded well in the moment, but it cut down overall (dramatically) the number of times she got into the controlling behavior and extreme frustration over not always being "right".

Best wishes,

polarbear

In general, gifted kids can't stand to be wrong because of perfectionism, though there may also be a bit of this involved:

Originally Posted by Pru
    We aren't Tiger Parents and our punishments are not severe. In fact we're pretty casual and lazy in that regard.

Permissive parenting can lead to exactly this kind of problem.

U
    U
    Hmmm...uh...are you me? Did I write that first post?

Although DD does like academics. But other than that, she sounds just like your DD. And yes, it's a problem for us as well.

I have to say that my own father is just like DD in this regard. He is also extremely intelligent--I would classify him as PG for sure.

dd blurts out something we know isn't the truth
    we tell her, "Sometimes all of us say things we accidentally don't mean to say. We get excited and the words just rush out before we have time to really think about what we are going to say. It sounds like that just happened to you. I'm going to give you three minutes to think about it, and then we'll start over again. It won't matter what you said before. After three minutes you can tell me what you actually wanted to say, and I'll listen."

I LOVE THIS! I am going to try it. polarbear, does your DD have an anxiety dx, and does your psych consider this behavior part of that?

Last edited by ultramarina; 02/07/12 12:27 PM.
    P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    @polarbear: Thank you for the ideas. We are going to try that technique to cut down on the drama and give her some second chances. It makes a lot of sense in terms of helping them feel like they're still in control, while hopefully leading to a positive outcome.

@Dude: It's possible our lack of highly structured discipline, like a rewards/consequences chart, is not helping this situation. That being said, we do punish, take toys/video games/TV/computer away, but part of my point was there is nothing we do that should cause her to fear being wrong, like ridicule, or severe consequences that would make her lie in order to avoid getting in trouble.

J
    J
    Pru,
    Perfectionism? yes, that is a pretty standard issue for gifted kids/adults.

Sometimes I think in school where everything is marked and graded, it is not ok to be wrong. you must get things correct. in school. (in life) sigh.

How does your DD perceive what would happen if she was wrong? What would it mean to her? How does being wrong make her feel? I think you really get it. You are on the mark on the issues about this. And yes, noticing there are many other gifted high-achieving able students to compare with, could make the "self" feel less valuable/worthy(?)

Perhaps consider going around it a different way. As a coach, someone alongside her. Tell her how you feel when you're wrong about something. What did you realize about being wrong. How did that make you a better person. How often are you wrong... etc etc How ok is it to be wrong?

Going directly against her will mostly make her feel extremely defensive, as you already know. You don't want it to be mom is always right and she is always wrong -- as the thing she remembers going into her teenage years.

How to have her feel less defensive about it? How to help her feel ok about being wrong? Start small... (?)

Looking fwd to reading more replies on this topic as I don't really know how to deal with it either --

Love polarbear's idea

I don't think permissive parenting per se is the actual issue. These children (and many adults) have very serious perfectionism issues. What you're seeing are symptoms of it -- the need to be right, accurate, correct. What is the underlying thinking process inside the person -- and to change and adjust the self-thinking involved there -- that is what is more important.

More important than just butting heads with a child who doesn't know and doesn't know how to manage their own perfectionism. It isn't about the mom/parents always being right and making sure the kid knows who is in charge. (Not saying you're doing that Pru/polarbear.) smile

That's enough from me. smile

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Pru
    ... but part of my point was there is nothing we do that should cause her to fear being wrong, like ridicule, or severe consequences that would make her lie in order to avoid getting in trouble.

It is internal. Inside there is a feeling that one needs to do things accurately, correctly, and can't be wrong. frown

Originally Posted by Pru
    @Dude: It's possible our lack of highly structured discipline, like a rewards/consequences chart, is not helping this situation. That being said, we do punish, take toys/video games/TV/computer away, but part of my point was there is nothing we do that should cause her to fear being wrong, like ridicule, or severe consequences that would make her lie in order to avoid getting in trouble.

The question is basically, "what do you mean by 'lazy'?" Because by the use of that term, I can imagine:

- Rules are applied inconsistently... sometimes you punish for a particular offense, and sometimes it's allowed to slide for the same exact offense. Both parents may have an entirely different approach.
    - Warnings are often given, ignored, and there are no consequences.
    - Punishments are frequently offered, and then rescinded later.

These would be hallmarks of inconsistent and/or permissive parenting, and that's a style of parenting that frequently leads to children not respecting limits, insistent on getting their own way, always being right, etc. So if that sounds like you, it's worth checking out authoritative parenting as an alternative.

Authoritative parenting doesn't mean you need a chart and a formalized system of rewards and consequences (that's not parenting, that's micromanagement)... it just means rules are well-communicated, boundaries are consistent, and overstepping those boundaries results in predictable consequences, in an atmosphere of mutual respect.

And if that doesn't sound like you... disregard.

K
    K
    I could also have written this, except my daughter (also 8) is the worst liar ever. She cannot tell a decent lie to save her life, she will make up the most ridiculous stories to cover herself! (and long may it stay that way ;))

And she wants to be an art teacher btw.

The above seems like a great solution to try. I can see it working with her. I don't think she maliciously lies, she's not that kind of kid. It's just infuriating!

I too could have written this but dd is 12!!

She has consequences when she gets caught lying, but even then she vehemently denies lying even when the evidence is clearly NOT in her favor.

I told her that her "AIM" in the situation is normal and healthy, but the way she is going about it is not appropriate.

The problem we have with consequences is, nothing seems to have an effect. We have taken away electronics, phone, sleep overs, school socials, etc. Short of bread and water and a bare mattress on the floor...and nothing seems to get the point across.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM